Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused TERRIBLY confused with my 4TTB3042 unit - only EXPERTS would know the answer to this

Hello,
    I have purchased American Standard furnace and AC unit few days ago.
    Having a very difficult time now since my AC unit says Trane on it. Furnace is ok. I understand both companies are owned by Ingersoll Rand and that both are made in the same factory, same assembly line etc in Tyler, TX.

It's my understanding Trane units get Trane logo and AS units get AS logo.

What i don't understand is why my AC says Trane on it when i purchased American Standard and the contractor said American Stanardard is better than Trane. Next thing i know my unit in the back yard says Trane.

Does anyone else purchased this AC unit recently and if so, would you be so kind and look at the label on your AC and tell me if it reads American Standard or Trane?

I have no clue if i got what i paid for.

here's what the sticker on the unit says - shouldn't it say American Standard?

Name:  AC1.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  62.1 KB

If you're that concerned about having matching brands (as you should be, but...), your contractor can easily replace the Trane logo on the outdoor unit with an American Standard logo. Those come off. On the XB units, that's the difference. They truly are the same unit, and I'm sorry it seems you may have been lead to believe that A/S is superior. Bottom line is if you accepted a proposal for an A/S unit then that's what you should have gotten, brand wise. On the base units, however, luckily they are identical except for the logo. Mechanically, all Trane and A/S units are identical between equivalent products in both lines. Above the base units (4TTB3/4TWB3), the cabinets get different and it will clearly be an A/S unit. Otherwise, your A/S dealer should be able to get the A/S logo from the distributor.
    Last edited by RyanHughes; 03-13-2013 at 07:52 PM.

what about the price Ryan? Would they be the same price? Want to make sure i haven't over payed (even if the internal components are identical I would have thought one brand may be more expensive).

want to make sure i haven't paid more, otherwise I'd be requesting a price difference from the contractor.

They are 100% identical. In the past, Trane called it the TTB, American Standard called it a 7B. Now, they are using the identical TTB model ID. If your contractor said A-S was better, he's got to eat crow, show him that!

20 years ago when we took on American Standard, our Trane competitors would say ours was inferior. But back then most furnaces still came with a Trane sticker so the homeowners realized they were being lied to by the Trane dealers when they saw their new furnace I sold them.

Prices vary by distributor and parts of the country.

I appreciate your replies guys !
    Since the units are identical I guess I don't have to worry about quality anymore but what i'm still struggling with is whether there would be any price difference between the same unit from Trane vs A-S.

I've got no way of finding out and I don't trust the contractor anymore - they either were not educated about this (very unlikely) or they wanted to take advantage of me hoping I won't notice the sticker says Trane. Plus in the process they were trying to convince me that if this would have been Trane they wouldn't be able to register the warranty on A-S website - i went to A-S website and Trane and i was able to look up the same serial number !

Trane and A-S simply share the same system. That made me distrust them even more.

What would you advice BaldLoonie ?

If anything, Trane would cost more than American standard but it would be a negligible amount as its the exact same equipment with a different sticker. Trane has a larger marketing/advertising cost over American standard, that's where the price difference in equipment dealer cost would arise.

Quote Originally Posted by marekm View Post
    I appreciate your replies guys !
    Since the units are identical I guess I don't have to worry about quality anymore but what i'm still struggling with is whether there would be any price difference between the same unit from Trane vs A-S.

I've got no way of finding out and I don't trust the contractor anymore - they either were not educated about this (very unlikely) or they wanted to take advantage of me hoping I won't notice the sticker says Trane. Plus in the process they were trying to convince me that if this would have been Trane they wouldn't be able to register the warranty on A-S website - i went to A-S website and Trane and i was able to look up the same serial number !

Trane and A-S simply share the same system. That made me distrust them even more.

What would you advice BaldLoonie ?
    Sit back and relax. You have identical equipment. You went cheap on the AC but still have the same stuff whether Trane or AS...
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

American standard and Trane are the same unit. I don't no why the dealers would have stated one was better then the other.

I would still talk with installer and ask why Trane was installed over American standard? As again they are the same unit but you were lead to belive American standard was better then Trane?

It just makes me scratch my head why he would say that and then install Trane? If you are pleased with the install and the cost, I wouldn't worry about the unit just why you were told one thing only to find out that they are the same.

I understand your confusing and just for Pieace of mind ask why? As far as warranty goes instead of registering on American standard website would need to go to Trane's website and do the same. Both will carry 10 parts, coil and compressor warranty. Curious was the inside coil and furnace American standard or Trane?

That particular model of unit would have that exact same data plate regardless of if it was "Trane" or "American Standard" branded.
    The only difference is the plastic badge on the outside of the unit, and a sticker on the box it came in.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Does the badge on the front say Trane?

Anyway, dealers only buy from the distributor of that brand. I can't buy a Trane for example. So if I get a unit that says Trane on it, it is because the factory put the wrong sticker or badge on it. For 15 years I had a Trane XV80. It came from the American Standard supplier and had a big American Standard logo on the box.

Regardless of what happened, you got the model you should have. So relax and enjoy it. Yes it is a builder model, but compressor & coil are the same as the "A" model so only difference is it is likely a bit noisier than had you got the 4A7A3042.

when I requested a brand tag on my unit, they gave me a box with
    snap on plastic plate & several name brands to choose from.
    all same company, just different lines made by company.
    I chose the one that was the type of unit I purchase, verified
    by model number.

trane usually cost more than am st.
    if it is working well, with no issues...whats the problem?

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

The brand means nuthin ! the integrity of the installing contractor means everything , if he gave you a Trane when he sold you an American Standard , is that OK ? Not in my opinion , if i bought a Ford explorer and went to pick it up and they gave me a Lincoln Aviator i would be irritated , especially if they had told me earlier that the Explorer was better .
    The issue is lack of integrity at a basic level , did they pull a vacuum to 400 microns, did they flush with an approved 410 A flushing Agent and then purge with dry nitrogen before pulling a vacuum and checking the integrity of the vacuum with a expensive set of digital guages ? and finally did they confirm the correct size metering device , and adequate airflow before checking the subcooling ? i doubt all of this if they failed to remove the Trane sticker !!!!!!

How many 10's of millions got Buicks that came out of a Chevrolet plant?
    They all had a general motor in them.
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast