+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Is it possible to get HVAC job?

Post Likes

Is it possible to get HVAC job?

I'm currently in a high school vo-tech school for HVACR and I see all the negative talking about how hard it is to get a job with no experience. I was just wondering if it is possible to get a job or if I should look into another trade. Thanks in advance

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by smitts961 View Post
    I'm currently in a high school vo-tech school for HVACR and I see all the negative talking about how hard it is to get a job with no experience. I was just wondering if it is possible to get a job or if I should look into another trade. Thanks in advance
    Getting your first job will be the hardest task at hand. After that its gravy.. I basically called every Hvac company in the yellow pages. I landed an install job. I am now a commercial service tech. I do not have an issue finding work and never felt any effects of the recession..

Post Likes
    Yeah that's what I've heard, that the first job with be the hardest, but after that you're set. The good thing for me is that I won't have any debt for my education. I really like the field so far. Thanks for the help.

Post Likes
    Sometimes companies look for a Helper w/ basic knowledge no experience..for installs, carrying tools, ect. Low pay but it gets your foot in the door. search around, i find positions like that every now & then.

Post Likes
    Knowing somebody helps a lot when it come to a good job , working for peanuts would get you a job you wouldn't want to keep. the best opportunities for a green guy are with large companies like JC, Trane...they pay more than you worth and give you the best opportunities to further your career, mom&pops=slave drivers. there is a lot of money to be made in this trade but it takes years and years to get to the top if you got nobody pulling you in, the very best pay a benefits are with the union but its very hard to get in, persistence is the key.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Knowing somebody helps a lot when it come to a good job , working for peanuts would get you a job you wouldn't want to keep. the best opportunities for a green guy are with large companies like JC, Trane...they pay more than you worth and give you the best opportunities to further your career, mom&pops=slave drivers. there is a lot of money to be made in this trade but it takes years and years to get to the top if you got nobody pulling you in, the very best pay a benefits are with the union but its very hard to get in, persistence is the key.
    The companies you listed are the hardest of all to land. If you can land them, your set. If not, take any job you can get. You will learn a ton, even if you work for a "slave driver" I personally started of making $3.25 per hour, got good at my job, then got bored and moved on to what interested me and as a bonus, paid better.

Never let money be your sole motivation, there's more to life then money, such as being satisfied with what you do. Hold yourself to a high standard, and never waiver from your ethics, ever.

Once you have a year of experiance, use that as leverage for better pay with the next company. Stay ahead of the curve and aquire as many certs as you can.

Post Likes
    If this is the field that you have a passion for, you'll find work. Two things to remember are that things will differ greatly from school. I remember that when I was in school with the Coast Guard the ice machine was Scotsman, mostly the flakers. They exist in the world, but they are nowhere near common. They also required that unless it was a blended refrigerant, it was to be charged as a gas. The other thing to remember is that there never comes a point that you can stop learning. It won't matter what that first job is, except that you'll want it to pay enough, and you want to be carefull that if the company requires questionable practices, that you don't make any bad habits you develop permanent. Some companies have a problem with teaching some bad, often illegal, habits to new people. You can move up to better jobs as you become more proficient.

Post Likes
    Smitts, where you from?

Post Likes
    Doing a union apprenticeship gets your foot in the door, I did a 5 year HVAC program in Florida while working my way up through the apprenticeship, have an still work with the same company all the way through but now that I'm done I can go anywhere in the US and get a job.

Post Likes
    this is the United State of America anything is possible

Post Likes
    less pessimistic and more optimistic

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by C.H cooling View Post
    Doing a union apprenticeship gets your foot in the door, I did a 5 year HVAC program in Florida while working my way up through the apprenticeship, have an still work with the same company all the way through but now that I'm done I can go anywhere in the US and get a job.
    Are you from 803?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Jigjoe View Post
    Are you from 803?
    yes, are you?

Post Likes
    Call around to a bunch of shops and set up a times to interview the service managers. Say you're looking to check into the trade and you want to see what kind of employees there looking for. It gives the manager time to see what kind of guy you are and for you to see what they are looking for. Follow up in a couple of weeks and bingo maybe an interview or job offer

Post Likes
    Sorry I haven't looked back on in a while. Thanks for all the replies. And to SeanH, I am from a small town in between Pittsburgh and West Virginia.

Post Likes
    A small town outside of Pittsburgh.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in