Yeast is making a mess in my Ice Machines.

I have several Pizza Restaurants that have Ice makers with in 10 feet of the dough room. The inside of the machines are growing a white paste (water snot) at an incredible rate and plugging up the water distributers and tubes from the pump motor.
    Someone mentioned using a UV light, I'm not sure how that would help.
    Any suggestions on how I can combat this problem?

How about weekly deep cleanings?
    Trying not to be a Hack.

Relocate the machines. In all honesty, there's not much you can do but keep up with cleaning them. Yeast has a way of finding ice machines.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

That's what I'm trying to avoid, it's not cost effective for my customer but it's very profitable for me

Yeah I thought about relocating them. I have one machine that is about 30' from the dough room, I have to go through 2 doors to get to it and I've only had to clean it once in 6 months.

His options are to pay you for a cleaning once a month plus service calls, or pay to move, replumb, and rerun emt and wiring, and clean twice a year. Spell it al out to him. I realize kitchen space is at a premium, but I'm sure it's not cost effective for him to keep writing checks to you.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

It was working when I left...
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

If you install a filter assembly that takes out everything but the chlorine out of the water, he can put a little more time in between cleanings. I have a bar that has their ice machine right outside their beer walk-in. I was cleaning their machine. Every 6 weeks since it was installed.
    Chlorine counteracts yeast growth.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

In my experience, filtration systems on the water supply will do nothing for preventing ice machine slime. Also, most common filtration systems do not remove any appreciable amount of chlorine from municipal water supplies anyway, nor does any dissolved solid in the water promote slime if the water is used completely unfiltered. Chlorine in the city water readily dissipates from water, especially if it is agitated. Sometimes you can open an ice machine bin door and smell the off-gassed chlorine. Most municipalities today are using chloramines for water disinfection anyway, which doesn't dissipate as rapidly, but still has little (if any) effect on slime growth.

It will grow anyway.

The best thing to do is move a machine from a problem area, or try to seal up the evaporator compartment as best you can from the condenser air. Most machines today are notoriously leaky. I have sometimes put a piece of weatherstrip around the bin door if you can. Dousing the entire evaporator compartment with sanitizer and leaving it can help.

By the way, Dan, last year moved an ice machine in a bar from an area right next to the beer taps in front to a spot right next to the keg cooler in the back. Much better back there for lots of reasons from sound to cleanliness.

Quote Originally Posted by MicahWes View Post
    In my experience, filtration systems on the water supply will do nothing for preventing ice machine slime. Also, most common filtration systems do not remove any appreciable amount of chlorine from municipal water supplies anyway, nor does any dissolved solid in the water promote slime if the water is used completely unfiltered. Chlorine in the city water readily dissipates from water, especially if it is agitated. Sometimes you can open an ice machine bin door and smell the off-gassed chlorine. Most municipalities today are using chloramines for water disinfection anyway, which doesn't dissipate as rapidly, but still has little (if any) effect on slime growth.

It will grow anyway.

The best thing to do is move a machine from a problem area, or try to seal up the evaporator compartment as best you can from the condenser air. Most machines today are notoriously leaky. I have sometimes put a piece of weatherstrip around the bin door if you can. Dousing the entire evaporator compartment with sanitizer and leaving it can help.

By the way, Dan, last year moved an ice machine in a bar from an area right next to the beer taps in front to a spot right next to the keg cooler in the back. Much better back there for lots of reasons from sound to cleanliness.
    Well im glad you had success. I was merely lending my insight into a situation i had. Brand new machine commissioned in January and i was cleaning it every 6 weeks like clockwork. I brought in Scotsman on the situation and the filtration remedy did the trick. I checked on it recently and the unit doesnt have to be cleaned until our normal 6 month interval. Keep in mind water in NJ has a higher chlorine content than NC. I absolutely agree that moving the machine should be the first fix. In my situation, the bin and head were put in before the walls went up and now they cant fit the machine throught the door so moving it was not an option.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.