Thread: Please help -- something wrong with the furnace blow motor?

Post Likes

Confused Please help -- something wrong with the furnace blow motor?

About a month ago, a contractor came in and replaced the blow motor because hot air was not coming out of the vents. It costs me a fortune, but I was glad my house was warm again. However, I started to feel the temperature in my house is uneven, and the furnace is on more often than before. I only found out yesterday the hot air is coming out only in several rooms, not the others. (same location on both floors) That explains why the furnace was on more because the living room with thermostat has little hot air coming out.

I wonder if it is the issue with the newly installed blow motor, and should I call the contractor to check? On the other hand, I really don't want to spend more money on a 20+ year old furnace. I am thinking about replacing it, but feel bad that I just put in $+ for a new blow motor. Any suggestion? Should this be covered for free by the contractor who installed the blow motor in the first place?

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-13-2013 at 05:47 AM. Reason: Price

Post Likes
    Call and ask for a service manager. He can tell you if there will be a cost or not. I would not have advised to put a fortune in a 20 year old furnace to begin with.

Post Likes
    Thanks, will try. If I decide to replace the furnace, by any chance is the contractor willing to take back the newly installed blower motor at a discounted price? I'd think they can put it to use easily somewhere else? (Sorry if this question is duplicate. I thought I have posted it earlier, but didn't see it yet)

Post Likes
    Is the air coming out as strong as it was before on the registers that it is coming out of? Is there any air at all coming out of the other registers? Could it be that the furnace is moving less air? Do you have a zone system?

Post Likes
    good point. I do feel the air coming out is not as strong as before even for those working registers. For the non-working ones, I can barely feel any hot air. I do have a zone system, but I have't touched it for a long time. Also, I thought zone is per floor,but in my case, the same vertical locations on both floors have the same problem. For example, the living room and the bedroom right above it have no hot air.

Is it a symptom of dying furnace? but before the blower motor incident, everything was fine.

Post Likes
    It might be a simple speed adjustment on the motor no big deal just call the guy back, if not than I would let it ride until you can afford to replace the furnace.

Post Likes
    Thanks. That sounds an easy and quick fix if they don't charge me any more money.

Also, does anybody has any opinion or experience on the contractor taking back the motor say if I go with them to replace the furnace?

Post Likes
    Yea if he charges you more for the furnace than deducts it because there is not a market for used motors and I am sure he gave you the replacement option.

Post Likes
    Part of a new blower motor installation should have included the tech measuring the temperature rise across the furnace to make sure that it was within the specifications of that type of furnace. That being said, the old motor may have been adjusted outside of it's safe operating range to "fix" a poor circulation condition that might now be showing itself again. A lot of variables could be the root cause.

Call them back and explain what is the situation since they were there and ask them what they can do for you. Every company will have their own unique set of circumstances in which they'll come back without charging.

As for a refund or discount towards a new furnace.... again that's going to be up to their policy.

First you need to find out why the replacing of a blower motor unbalanced the heating of your home though. This could be an indication of either something really simple or something more substantial. Blower motors don't last forever, but a bad air distribution system can drastically shorten their life.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    I would call and tell them what problems you are having since their repair. The problem may be related, it may not. If it is related it should be no cost, if not get a estimate before they start. Also remember it may be a problem that is not directly related, ie the motor is running perfectly but the tech accidentally caused a problem with the zone system for instance.

I may have missed it but how long has it been since the origional repair, a couple days, weeks, a month, longer? The answer to this question will have a direct affect on how the service company responds.

With the info given I don't think that "this" would be an issue to replace the furnace, but there may be other reasons such as efficiency, safety, age,etc.

Post Likes
    If the company is reputable, they will not sell used parts. Do not expect to get any money back for that motor.

Did they give you a replacement option at the same time as the repair price? Why would you put an expensive motor into a 20 year old furnace?
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the reply. Greatly appreciate it. Let me answer two questions being asked.

I went for the motor replacement because it was the second day since the motor stopped working, and I desperately need the heat back 6pm that day. Didn't want another night without much heat. The tech did mention replacement, but has to be the next day before he can give me a quote.

The blower motor service was done about a month ago. What I have been noticing is that the furnace is on longer and more frequently than before, maybe some uneven temperature inside the house, but I didn't realize some of the registers are cold (living room and one bedroom upstairs, no one lives in that bedroom) until yesterday. It is obvious I am not good at this.

I will call and update what I get back from the contractor.

Post Likes
    I think you just noticed problems that already existed before the motor was replaced. Once the work was done you started feeling around but now it is putting the cart before the horse. With that the tech should have looked into the attic and at least ensured proper air flow.

Post Likes
    hmm, thanks. I am not saying the air flow is not the issue, but I really don't think the same issue existed before the motor replacement. Thinking back, it is obvious something is different from before, such as less strong air flow, temperature rises more slowly, not to mention the cold registers. I am leaning to the motor speed theory and hope that will not cost me more money.

with the furnace replacement option, I am so hesitant to spend more money on an old furnace, even for a service trip fee.

Post Likes
    They should cover that trip fee, I would.

Post Likes
    a issue w/ zone sys. may have caused the orig. motor to fail a good tech. should have caught this after a motor install they should find the reason for possible failure to insure new motor dosent also have a death sentance

Palm Desert home, Bear Valley Springs home & Maui condo
    Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by simoncat View Post
    Thanks, will try. If I decide to replace the furnace, by any chance is the contractor willing to take back the newly installed blower motor at a discounted price? I'd think they can put it to use easily somewhere else? (Sorry if this question is duplicate. I thought I have posted it earlier, but didn't see it yet)

If I installed the motor, I would credit towards the install.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in