Mixing system types -2 units -1 gas heat and R22, 1 heatpump r410? -split sys

Basically what the title says.

I have two 3.5ton 10 Seer units R22, with gas heat, split system (some stuff is in the attic, airhandler?, compressor units on the ground).
    One unit has not had any issues.
    The 2nd unit has a leak at the "king valve", it's where it's soldered, but a slow leak. Probably could top it off and not have a problem (each year).
    I do plan on checking on the cost to have that fixed, but I'm also trying to be proactive on how mixing up systems will affect things.

If that 2nd unit is replaced with an all electric heatpump (split system 3.5ton 13 or 14 seer), is that going to throw things off? Gas heat down stairs, electric heat upstairs? R22 in 1 unit, r410 in the other?

I prefer gas heat, but I cant be sure that we will stay in this house long enough to make it worth the extra expense should it be significant.

If you replace the R22 outdoor unit with a r410a outdoor unit, you should replace the indoor unit or coil also, so that it will work properly with R410a. It should be an AHRI matched system.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdeath2000 View Post
    Basically what the title says.

If that 2nd unit is replaced with an all electric heatpump (split system 3.5ton 13 or 14 seer), is that going to throw things off? Gas heat down stairs, electric heat upstairs? R22 in 1 unit, r410 in the other?
    The heat loss of the home doesn't really care how you put the heat back into the home. If the nothing else changes and the new system makes heat (just by a different means) than the other system does nothing should change.

What YOU might notice though is a "different" heat with the heat pump and electric resistance heating than what you were used to with the gas furnace. To clarify the different I mean that gas furnaces "tend" to deliver warmer air out of the supply registers than heat pumps and electric resistance heating. If the equipment is sized correctly according to a heat loss calculation then the house will stay as warm as you set the thermostat.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

On the flip side, while the air is cooler, the volume is higher and run times are suaully a lot longer, so you can see more even room to room temps with a heat pump, then a single stage furnace. A 2 stage furnace would be similar. FUrnaces also tend to be oversized as well.

Cool thanks!

I assume there shouldnt be a huge cost increase in the heating, but some. AZ here, so it doesnt get very cold in Phoenix (Surprise).

yes the ele.back up will likely only run a couple time a season should be fine