How important slow fan speed, dehumidify air conditioner

Hi,
    I just had a york modulating furnace, and correctly sized york air conditioner installed in my master bedroom area. 18k btu load---1.5 ton air. I asked for their recommended t stat, and it is a honeywell programmable, but does not do humidity control/adjustable fan speed. Is it worth my effort to have them change it out for one that will be able to slow the fan speed if dehumidification is necessary? Or is that more needed if the unit is oversized?

Thanks

Steve

The York mod furnace has a geo track feature to help dehumidify. You contractor should be able to explain this. I hope. Otherwise, you got the wrong contractor.
    "Hey Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort." And he says, "there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. - Carl Spackler

Quote Originally Posted by central nj View Post
    Hi,
    I just had a york modulating furnace, and correctly sized york air conditioner installed in my master bedroom area. 18k btu load---1.5 ton air. I asked for their recommended t stat, and it is a honeywell programmable, but does not do humidity control/adjustable fan speed. Is it worth my effort to have them change it out for one that will be able to slow the fan speed if dehumidification is necessary? Or is that more needed if the unit is oversized?

Thanks

Steve
    I would set up the blow speed to provide a 40-45^F cooling coil temp to optimize dehumidification whenever in the cooling mode. This will max the dehumidification whenever the a/c operates. During low/no cooling loads, this will not be enough dehumidification to maintain <50%RH in the space. A small whole house dehumidifier will maintaint <50% RH regardless of the cooling load. Units like the Ultra-Aire 70H are ideal for this.
    Keep us posted on how this works out.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"