American Standard new system Opinion

Hello all,

received a quote to replace current hvac system with a
    American Standard Platinum XM a/c 18seer and Gold ZM furnace 95% plus twostage variable speed comfort r natural gas

system information 4a7a6036g1 outdoor unit
    ace36d44175 aspen coil
    auh2b080a9v3 furnace
    acont082 system control

reside in phila two story twin brick home-what are your thoughts in this system thanks

I wouldn't want an Aspen coil spending that kind of money. Don't know why they are doing that. You can get some great efficiency numbers using a genuine American Standard aluminum coil which I would much prefer over an Aspen.

Agree with Bald, why are they quoting you a universal Aspen coil? I'd want to see the AHRI match-up sheet to prove this coil will actually give you the 18 SEER you were quoted. From the numbers, it looks like a 3 ton (36K) coil, and usually you can't get nearly 18 SEER using this size coil.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Agree with Bald, why are they quoting you a universal Aspen coil? I'd want to see the AHRI match-up sheet to prove this coil will actually give you the 18 SEER you were quoted. From the numbers, it looks like a 3 ton (36K) coil, and usually you can't get nearly 18 SEER using this size coil.
    Thanks to both of you will pose the questions to the company

Looked at AHRI, there are some high SEER #s with Aspen. But remember, these ratings are computer simulated not actually tested as in the case of OEM coil ratings. So you may or may not really get them. Still would want the A-S coil personally. The few bucks savings with the slightly higher SEER aren't worth it to me to have an Aspen coil.

It's also not worth a slightly higher SEER to oversize the coil more than about 1.2 ton, expecially with 2 stage units... and with the XL16i/XR16, I wouldn't oversize at all. It's know to be a little latent capacity challenged, probably because capacity tends to be a little lower than the nominal tonnage.

I posed the questions raised about the aspen coil and received the following timely response

I used the high efficiency Aspen coil due to the increased efficiency ratings. This model is not the standard Aspen many contractors are used to. This option has four passes which accounts for the increased ratings. I would be more than happy to provide you with the AHRI certificate- the reference number is 5472448. You can view the ratings http://www.ahridirectory.org/ahridir...ultSearch.aspx

American Standard makes a FANTASTIC coil product. It is all aluminum which makes for better longevity and has a very large surface area. You can absolutely use an American Standard coil for this project. I would recommend using the 4TXCB004CC3. This match up would provide you with 16.5 SEER and 12.0 EER (AHRI REF # 5288108).

The ASPEN coil is a great product as well- all things being equal, I do prefer the American Standard coil and if you choose to go that route you certainly will not be making a mistake. However, in this case since there was a 1.5 Point SEER difference and a .8 EER rating, I went with the ASPEN. The final decision is of course up to you, there is no difference in price and I am comfortable with either option so it's just a matter of what you are most comfortable with.

As it appears it would be logical to go with the american standard coil as the change in seer of 1.5 and eer of .8 is really not significant(?)- and the entire system would be matched and come with a 12 year parts and labor extended warranty -Thanks again for all responses

I'd definitely go with the A/S coil as it qualifies entire system for the extended labor warranty!

As I mentioned, 3rd party coil ratings are simulated, OEM coils are accurate. So is it 1.5 SEER points higher? Computer says yes, does the real world? American Standard will cover the Aspen coil under their extended warranties for a premium which would likely negate any savings from a slightly higher efficiency. If he's willing to give the 004 coil at the same price, I'd go for it. I am familiar with the coil he is proposing.

ok another quote from a york dealer-price is approximately 10% lower than American Standard
    York Affinity yp9c 80000 btu-furnace-modulating 98%
    Lx seris a/c ycjf-3 ton with
    aspen coil- eer-13.40 seer 16.50 ahri#3242423

Thoughts-both appear to be very competent installers both in business for long time- both 10 year parts/labor warranties-I know not really apples to apples-one is modulating furnace with single stage a/c one has two stage furnace with two stage a/c once again thanks for all replies from the experts as the information supplied is excellent

Again, why use the aspen coil? That furnace cna do dehumidify on demand so make sure they spec a thermostat that measures humidity, or have them quote the 2 stage Affinity condenser and use their communicating thermostat.

I've also had a contractor tell me that Carrier Infinity is actually a little less than York affinity. Yorks modulating furnace is better, but the Inifity control is still arguably the best out there.

But in the end, you should choose the contractor that will do the best installation. Since your in philly, your a heating dominate climate overall. So a modulating furnace will give you comfort more of the year than a 2 stage AC unit.

Also, did they do a load calculation? 80k & 3 tons will heat a fairly large 2 story house in Philly area. As large as 3000sqft

Only the first contractor AS asked about square feet and insulation and utilized a handheld computer-no one with the exception of the York installer measured anything-I requested a Quote for the york two stage but could only get the czh and not the czf because the czf maxes out at 15.75 seer therefore no utility rebate and that quote czh with the communicating thermostat was 2K more -the house is a two story brick three bedroom finished basement approx 1500 square feet? no insulation in walls-most appeared to have furring strips used and no real space to add insulation with exception of walls where ductwork was ran -had insulation blown into roof newer efficient doors and windows all are pretty much 80k btu and 3 ton ac thanks again for all replies have more estimates coming is the YORk products any good as I would prefer the modulating furncae to have a more consistent temperature/efficiency and the gas utlity prices for gas heat are one of the more expensive monthly bill compared to electric would a very good two stage with variable speed be close to a modulating for consistent temperature/efficiency