Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

an Inconvenient truth

Blown away by this movie.
    I consider myself a skeptic in almost every aspect until I have heard both sides of the argument. I was under the opinion that humans could not be the only reason for "global warming" and that the recent changes ALL of us have seen around the world were cyclical. Now I am not on the band wagon as of yet but I must admit that the movie Al Gore has put together is VERY convincing. I am doing things right now to help that were not based on fighting climate change such as recycling ect. I was doing them because its the right thing to do and waste is an evil plaguing modern civilizations. How many of you have seen this movie? what do you think of the ideas and statistics in the movie?

I sat back after the movie (and during the movie as well) and thought about the job I do for a living. Now I dont think that we are part of the problem, Humans in the modern world NEED refrigeration and in some cases NEED A/C. Heat is a necessity almost everywhere you travel. What can we do as a trade to do our part? I am a Refrigeration mechanic so I think about the practical and economical ways to do my part. I have been working on trying to improve efficiency to the Racks we have with better setup and maintenance. What else can be done to help?

What has to happen in order to change the will of the political environment around the world regarding this time of needed change... I personally feel despair when I think about what REALLY dictates the role of government, Business. Specifically the companies with the most amount of push or pull are the energy companies and industry that has the most to "lose" in regards to the changes needed.....
    "I'm really easy to get along with once you people learn to see it my way."

"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

well i can tell you from personal experience that if you state that as a matter of profesional & ethical policy you have never (with a handful of emergency situations) added refrigerant to a system you know to be leaking, it won't be received entirely well on this forum.
    its curious that we in the business of moving heat see so clearly the wisdom of our customers relying on "our" expertise yet feel entitled to a scientific opinion on global warming or depletion of the ozone. its like so many a generation ago that had a conflicting medical opinion on whether or not cigarettes were harmful & now.....not so much.
    what will happen will be dictated by human nature.....too little,too late.
    i was born under a wandrin star.

I lost interest when these same idiots said that part of the problem with global warming was all the cigarette smokers.................whaaaa?

ya think 2500 square miles of forest burning in Mexifornia would have anything to do with global warming???????????

cigarette smokers........please
    BEING AN ADULT

is the dumbest thing I have ever done

I don't doubt that in general we're doing stuff the mother nature that's not natural. But on the other hand I don't think we are exclusively to blame for this warming thing

Thought #1, same as George Carlin... who are we to believe humans can ruin earth that's been around millions of years?

Thought #2... in the city it's more often than not warmer than out in the country (in summer), or even on a winter night, usually in the city it's warmer than out in the middle of no where right? Now... we are paving more and more of the earth, this helps to "keep it warm". Throw into the fact that there's more people on earth (which, i'd hope we know gives off x ammount of BTU per person). How about an engine running... it gives off heat (forget the "pollution" factor), a welder welding adds heat... it goes on and on. So, in a way we are making it warmer, but not so much by pollution IMHO>

Thought #3, if refrigerant makes things cold... you'd think all the systems I don't recover would have cooled things down a bunch by now lol (just kidding on this last one).
    "If you call that hard work, a koala’s life would look heroic."

More like Inconvenient Fiction. Beginning with the fact that there is not absolute fact that human activity is actually having an affect on the current global warming. One fact is that the earth has gone through global warming and cooling cycles since its inception and that includes 99.99% of time when there were no humans even around.

Selling scare tactics is all this kind of media is about. Good for Al Gore; he found a way to make money off of something that he does not have to do a thing to produce.

If anything that mankind is doing is truly accelerating global warming, I figure it is all of the hot air being spewed out by the ultra-liberals who believe we are important and influential enough to make this big of a difference.
    Government is a disease...
    ...masquerading as its own cure…
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 NIV

Global warming? Tell that to the people of texas. Hell, it snowed in malibu a couple of days ago.

if anything we global cooling.

Worry more about sitting in traffic breathing all that carbon monoxide.

Sooner or later we have to admit that we as 'things on this planet are making changes by the things we do. We cant make excuses like its the media, its the boogy man, its a forest burning. The planet is changing, lets face it with all the people and polution that we have pumped into the air, water and ground things are going to change and it wont be for the better. I honestly believe we will destroy the earth, sooner or later, if not by polution by atomic explosions. Why do you think the millionares and politicians want a set on the next space ship to mars?
    Victor

I just remember the way it was forty something years ago!
    What's it gonna be like in forty something more years?
    As usual--just my opinion.
    "Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great." -- Mark Twain

If you fell for Forrest Gore's little work of mostly fiction, I have some swamp land and a few bridges I'll sell you cheep!

There is so much straw man arguments, out of context quotes, junk science and agenda driven propoganda and lies in that flick that it would be laughable if there were not so many sheeple that believe it as scientific fact.

Many of the same celebrities, scientists and politicians that are jumping up and down about global warming now were crying about global cooling and the coming ice age back in the early 80's.

Do a Goggle search on Debunking an inconvenient truth" and spend some time following links and reading. You will have to wade through some obvious idiots, but there is a lot of real info that will give you a better story.

One of my favorite fictions in the movie was the "hockey stick". That theory has been blown out of the water by so many scientific, historical and government organizations that I'm surprised Gore didn't have it edited out of the movie to at least save a little face.
    In all their research they somehow missed the very widely known about period of global warming in the middle ages that was followed by a "mini ice age". Both are known to have had profound impacts in Europe, Asia and South America. The warming period led to the downfall of a dynasty in China and is theorized to have been what led to the decline of Mayan civilization to the point that they moved. The "mini ice age" led to the downfall of another dynasty in China, caused widespread famine problems in Europe, and is theorized to be what finished off the Mayan civilization the 2nd time.
    You think there may have been a political agenda behind those scientists leaving it out? Just follow the grant money for an explanation.

I have no doubt that the earth is getting warmer, it does that from time to time. The 1% or so of the total greenhouse gases in the atmosphere that can be attributed to human activity may even be very slightly accelerating it, but I don't believe there is a GD thing we can do to stop it.

How about instead of spending many billions of dollars, and crippling the economy, to try to stop a natural cycle we have no hope of stopping, we expend the energy on planning for and dealing with the effects of it?
    Last edited by mark beiser; 01-21-2007 at 11:50 PM.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Have you watched the Documentary RoBo?

If not give it the benefit of the doubt. If you watch it and can point out some things you contest please speak up. Not a challenge in any way. Just want to hear your take on it. As with anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    There is so much straw man arguments, out of context quotes, junk science and agenda driven propoganda and lies in that flick that it would be laughable if there were not so many sheeple that believe it as scientific fact.
    The remark about "agenda driven propoganda" has me asking WHO's agenda? Where is the profit in this push regarding the topic of climate change? who would this benefit?

Oh, another thing. There is a large body of geological evidence that shows there have been a number of mass extinctions over the eons caused by global warming and cooling periods.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast