Thread: Floor/radiant heat - boiler size question

Post Likes

Floor/radiant heat - boiler size question

Hopefully this is posted in the correct area, please move if needed.

I'm retro fitting my house with floor heat, wife insisted new kitchen, which I don't think is necessary, so I insisted on floor heat, which is necessary, if the kitchen comes out,

I have opportunity to nab a good sized 660,000 btu/hr boiler used relatively cheap and it's only 7 years old. . My concern is, can it be a bday situation to have it a bit bigger then heat demand? Or can one go by the phrase, better to have it and not need it then to need it and not have it? Later I plan on heating garage and pool for summer, and a small hot tub for winter. My concern was quick cycles to keep water hot, but if that isn't a worry, then I apologize for the trivial question.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Post Likes
    That better be one monster sized house ya got before that thing won't be hideously oversized. At a guess, 14,000 sq ft or more, maybe a bit less if it heats a pool.

Post Likes
    There is really nothing about using that size of boiler that is close to a good idea. That is unless your home is ..... 10,000 square foot and you're going to heat the entire thing with hot water.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Zones in kitchen, dining, something with garage, dhw, and pool /hot tub.

I wasn't sure if short cycles from the unit being too large for a small heat demand would damage it. Valve/solenoids/secondary switching..

Post Likes
    To say this boiler would be oversized would be an understatement to the max. It's like this.....let's say you're driving to California from Boston......and you wanted to be efficient however you had to stop and turn the car off and restart it at every stoplight, warning light, crossroad, train tracks, shopping center...you get the drift. You'd be more efficient in a bicycle than a car and probably get there about as quick. Grossly oversized boiler connected to numerous zones will be the recipe for a horrible disaster. Both for comfort and your wallet. How about actually have a professional figure what you need and size it close to that?? Maybe the money you'll save will pay for the wife's kitchen....Advice from an old married man......let the wife have her kitchen. Hint....hint....or you may be in the hot tub alone!

Post Likes
    I'd rather buy the boiler for $, cut my heating bill in half, or at least pay the same and enjoy it, and put up a 8000$ pole barn to make cash on the side instead of killing a kitchen I can already use, and trade her in for a pair of 20yo's and enjoy them in the hot tub.

Last edited by beenthere; 03-11-2013 at 05:10 PM. Reason: price

Post Likes
    So are you saying your going to quadruple your boiler size and cut your bill in half lol, maybe I misread that. I did get the trade in for a couple of 20yr olds part loud and clear though ha ha!

Post Likes
    Forced air to heat house, nothing else.

Like to switch to a boiler, and heat nearly everything and then some.

Post Likes
    What kind of boiler, cast iron or modulating? It really won't matter because it will be oversized any way you slice it and will be something you regret until your finally tear it out. If your doing low temp floor tubing your better off with a condensing boiler that can modulate down to the lowest load, it will also be more efficient. I would strongly recommend you don't but it's ultimately your choice.

Post Likes
    Using that size boiler, it will cot you more to heat your house. Firing up 660,000 BTUs to heat a 10,000 BTU load is not cost effective.

Post Likes
    Buy the boiler for five bills and sell it for 10 bills. That's the only way your are going to come out ahead on this deal. BTW, most likely you will never be able to sell that used boiler with that kind of BTU rating.
    "The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers it can bribe the public with the public's own money.
    - Alexis de Toqueville, 1835

Post Likes
    It's only a good buy because no one wants it. If it's cast iron, good luck moving it.
    I am the "Wally". All others are meer imitations of the original.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in