Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: uv leak dye

Agreed, the H-10 is the way to go!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

A guy I worked with at my last company was all about using dye. It could be the biggest leak and he would be all about gettin' in and gettin' out fast. Seemed more like he wanted to see how many calls he could do a day instead of finding the leak at that time...was actually a cool guy though. I've never used it personally, I've only returned to find a leak after the guy mentioned above injected dye and it just seemed to make a mess. I'll stick with the leak detector and bubbles. I will say that the copper trick mentioned by 76olds is a neat trick, seems like it may work if its quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    It's messy and stays in your hoses forever
    X2

There were only 2 instances I used it and both times it made a huge mess.

Generally speaking if you are proficient at finding leaks, there is no need for it....

Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    X2

There were only 2 instances I used it and both times it made a huge mess.

Generally speaking if you are proficient at finding leaks, there is no need for it....
    Will never use that crap again...... I get super po'ed when I encounter that crap on every system in my area........

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Electronic, ultrasonic, isolation, nitrogen, bubble solution and dye or some combination all have their advantages and their place imo. Dye has to be used correctly. Use a manual injector (Especially if inexienced with injecting it.), clean up if needed and tag the unit with the sticker that comes with the dye stick. I may not want to use my new hoses or my digital gauges on that system granted. IMO dye shouldn't be the first option either.
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

In all honesty, I don't find the world ended when someone has used it, but I don't use it myself. Broken down to most basic terms dye is not a refrigerant and it isn't a lubricant, hence IMHO it is occupying space in the system and while it does not prevent heat transfer to the degree some have told me, it doesn't serve enough purpose to impress me to use it. When I first started working AC&R we had a halid torch with a sweep hose. With the torch lit we sweep the hose across the line to be checked for leak until the flame changes color to a greenish color. It sort of works, but you must move the sweep hose slowly if you want to have a good idea where the refrigerant entered the sweep hose. Nothing beats soap and water for pin pointing where refrigerant is leaking. Dye isn't the first "Trick", and I doubt it will be the last. If you find a method that works for you, generally either soap/water or an electronic detector, stick with it.

Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Electronic, ultrasonic, isolation, nitrogen, bubble solution and dye or some combination all have their advantages and their place imo. Dye has to be used correctly. Use a manual injector (Especially if inexienced with injecting it.), clean up if needed and tag the unit with the sticker that comes with the dye stick. I may not want to use my new hoses or my digital gauges on that system granted. IMO dye shouldn't be the first option either.
    Exactly, UV dye is a tool that is nice to have available in some situations, but like most tools, is not right for every situation.

Ditto on the manual injectors too, Spectroline's EZ-Ject cartridges are excellent for this. Minimal mess, and if you don't over treat the system, it won't make a mess of your hoses/gauges during future service.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Copeland recomends the use of Spectronics AR-GLO 4/E Fluorescent Leak Detection Dye for HFC/POE and HCFC/Mineral Oil usage at the equipment manufacturer’s recommended concentrations.

On occasion I have used it for probably over 20 years. Never had a problem. BUT yes it can be messy.

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Well, If Chevy does it....
    LMAO!
    "The problem is the average person isn’t tuned in to lifelong learning, or going to seminars and so forth. If the information is not on television, and it’s not in the movies they watch, and it’s not in the few books that they buy, they don’t get it" - Jack Canfield

Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    Will never use that crap again...... I get super po'ed when I encounter that crap on every system in my area........

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Me too!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2sac,markettech, always enjoy a little sarcasim.... smat a#@ myself.

but seriously, think about it. they produce millions of cars that are covered under warranty for 3 years- do you honestly think they put something in that would be bad for the system? i was Mr. goodwrench certified chevy tech for 8 years, never saw any problems from it. Thier engineers are not idiots. All basic 134a systems like a cooler, only in a truck? I think saying if chevy does it (along with the manufactures, which do) that's a pretty valid thing to think about. They produce alot more cars than true does coolers right?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12