+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: uv leak dye

Post Likes

uv leak dye

hey guys, just read a alod thread were alot of people are bashing the use of dye. Dye has worked great for me several times, very easy to visually check system and find leaks most of the time. Chevy puts in every car they make since 2001. i have never seen it hurt a system.

Can anyone really honestly say they dyed a system, and shortly after it hurt it? curious . maybe i should stop using it? it does work really good to find leaks.

Post Likes
    why even use the dye?

Just put in super seal.

Post Likes
    Well, If Chevy does it....

It's messy and stays in your hoses forever
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    It also voids the warranty on equipment if it is used. It displaces what the filter drier catches and blows it out the back of the drier. Plus it makes a mess of your gauges.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    who got that UV light pic of the rack with a gallon of Dye added? hahah
    Sig removed by mod. G-Rated site

Post Likes
    messy and un-necessary. If you cant find a leak without it, u r in the wrong trade.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    messy and un-necessary. If you cant find a leak without it, u r in the wrong trade.

Isn't that the truth.

Post Likes
    It is a great tool to have available for situational use, but I wouldn't use it in every system.

Quote Originally Posted by phxhvac View Post
    It also voids the warranty on equipment if it is used. It displaces what the filter drier catches and blows it out the back of the drier.
    Maybe your experience is with crappy products, Spectroline Ar-Glo doesn't do either of those things.
    Plus it makes a mess of your gauges.
    Only if the system has been over treated.

Quote Originally Posted by heresjohnnyb View Post
    How would you propose to exactly pinpoint every leak in a system that is in an environment where you are not allowed to use an electronic leak detector, like a walk in for volatile HAZMAT storage?

Post Likes
    I used to use it. Works great. Never had a problem with it.

Haven't had the need to use it lately.

Post Likes
    Never have iether. like i say GM it uses it in every vehicle made since 2001 from the factory.( was a GM factory tech for 8 years) all with 134a. It is easier by far to find leaks than electronic IMO. yes-do it right, and don't over dye. it only takes an ounce or two usually.

Anyhow noone ever answered that they have actually seen it cause damage to an otherwise good system? so, has anyone?

Also then, what are your favorite detectors/brands/methods for leak checking. If someone has proof i would like to stop using it, but it does work great for finding leaks.

Post Likes
    Used it once when I was a baby tech. NEVER agin. 23 years later still haven't had a leak I couldn't find with out it. Don't care if its good, bad, or indifferent to operation. May help you on the first leak but then its everywhere. Here a leak there a leak everywhere a leak leak?

Post Likes
    so what is your preffernce then make model etc...

Post Likes
    Preferences:

Electronic: H-10. Have a H-10 PM and a H-10 G. Very satisified with the PM, only used the G a handfull of times.

Soap Bubbles: Current favorite is a homade mix of awsome cleaner/degreaser and water. Also have super blue and some thick yellow stuff (not sure of brand). Nu calgon brand works good too.

Also have a length of 3/8 od hose, stick one end in my ear, run the other end around the evap elbows or whatever I'm checking.

I think the last time I used dye, it was the spectronics brand.

Post Likes
    Agreed, the H-10 is the way to go!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    A guy I worked with at my last company was all about using dye. It could be the biggest leak and he would be all about gettin' in and gettin' out fast. Seemed more like he wanted to see how many calls he could do a day instead of finding the leak at that time...was actually a cool guy though. I've never used it personally, I've only returned to find a leak after the guy mentioned above injected dye and it just seemed to make a mess. I'll stick with the leak detector and bubbles. I will say that the copper trick mentioned by 76olds is a neat trick, seems like it may work if its quiet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    It's messy and stays in your hoses forever
    X2

There were only 2 instances I used it and both times it made a huge mess.

Generally speaking if you are proficient at finding leaks, there is no need for it....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan1088 View Post
    X2

There were only 2 instances I used it and both times it made a huge mess.

Generally speaking if you are proficient at finding leaks, there is no need for it....
    Will never use that crap again...... I get super po'ed when I encounter that crap on every system in my area........

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Electronic, ultrasonic, isolation, nitrogen, bubble solution and dye or some combination all have their advantages and their place imo. Dye has to be used correctly. Use a manual injector (Especially if inexienced with injecting it.), clean up if needed and tag the unit with the sticker that comes with the dye stick. I may not want to use my new hoses or my digital gauges on that system granted. IMO dye shouldn't be the first option either.

Post Likes
    In all honesty, I don't find the world ended when someone has used it, but I don't use it myself. Broken down to most basic terms dye is not a refrigerant and it isn't a lubricant, hence IMHO it is occupying space in the system and while it does not prevent heat transfer to the degree some have told me, it doesn't serve enough purpose to impress me to use it. When I first started working AC&R we had a halid torch with a sweep hose. With the torch lit we sweep the hose across the line to be checked for leak until the flame changes color to a greenish color. It sort of works, but you must move the sweep hose slowly if you want to have a good idea where the refrigerant entered the sweep hose. Nothing beats soap and water for pin pointing where refrigerant is leaking. Dye isn't the first "Trick", and I doubt it will be the last. If you find a method that works for you, generally either soap/water or an electronic detector, stick with it.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    Electronic, ultrasonic, isolation, nitrogen, bubble solution and dye or some combination all have their advantages and their place imo. Dye has to be used correctly. Use a manual injector (Especially if inexienced with injecting it.), clean up if needed and tag the unit with the sticker that comes with the dye stick. I may not want to use my new hoses or my digital gauges on that system granted. IMO dye shouldn't be the first option either.
    Exactly, UV dye is a tool that is nice to have available in some situations, but like most tools, is not right for every situation.

Ditto on the manual injectors too, Spectroline's EZ-Ject cartridges are excellent for this. Minimal mess, and if you don't over treat the system, it won't make a mess of your hoses/gauges during future service.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in