Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Around here it depends. If somebody has sold a furnace only or condenser only, and the schedule is wide open, they'll have one man do it. If it's a furnace and a/c, definitely two people. Especially if there's ductwork.

Depends on the job. I have seen 1 guy do the inside part and the other do the outside part and work together on the line set. 1 guy do the trunk lines 1 guy do he branch lines. And work together on the heavy lifting. All company's have different policies.

Why are you thinking about moving in this direction? Most try to move the other way. Installation is hard, backbreaking, head busting work most of the time. I have a helper, and he doesn't say much! I don't enjoy service as I don't enjoy day to day, house to house on my own all day, it can be lonely, agreed. Install can be close to the same, just at the same house all day, or all week. doesn't mean conversation picks up. Also depends on the company and the job how things are, one or two people. Definitely get yourself a good radio or ipod for jobsite, sounds like you need the noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    No matter where you live, if you're a journeyman level service technician and you're not making at least $20/hr., I'd say there's something wrong. What's your experience level?
    Not around here. I am an owner and I barely make more than that. It depends on where you live, the cost of living, local practice, etc.

My son works in Manhattan and makes twice what I do. But I live better than him. The cost of living there is insane!!!

My taxes are lower, gas is a dollar a gallon less, food is cheaper, Housing is WAY cheaper. To make a statement like that is just local thinking. Travel around some. You will learn.
    Last edited by Kevin O'Neill; 03-13-2013 at 09:02 AM. Reason: spelling
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Not around here. I am an owner and I barely make more than that. It depends on where you live, the cost of living, local practice, etc.

My son works in Manhattan and makes twice what I do. But I live better than him. The cost of living there is insane!!!

My taxes are lower, gas is a dollar a gallon less, food is cheaper, Housing is WAY cheaper. To make a statement like that is just local thinking. Travel around some. You will learn.
    I'm sticking by my assertion that $20/hr. is a fair average starting wage for a journeyman level tech who is employ of a contractor in any part of the country, without knowing the specifics of the position. I live and work in an area that is well-known for a low cost of living and I make nearly double that. I've traveled around enough and spoken to enough folks in various parts of the country to know what's fair and what's not. I know I personally wouldn't roll out of bed for the wages they are paying in the Carolinas.

As an owner, you can pay yourself whatever you want, and I have found that many owner/operators have a tendency to undervalue their time and expertise just to make their numbers look better on paper.
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin O'Neill View Post
    Not around here. I am an owner and I barely make more than that.

My son works in Manhattan and makes twice what I do.
    sounds like you need to mark your parts up more ...

It varies from company to company sometimes residential installers will work solo almost always a commercial install crew will have at least 2 guys if i were you i would stay in the service dept put in your time learn the trade get your journeyman or masters license and the money will come with experience

Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    I think you have abondoment issues, Maybe an appointment with a doctor would help guide you in the right direction. Seriously.
    No offense to the OP, but I agree with toocoolforschool.

The OP sounds like this might be something a professional should be discussing with him.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaFuse View Post
    Ride and work with a Bible Thumper for a week and you will beg to work alone!
    Been there. I was like the guy in "Airplane" drenching himself in kerosene.....

Depends on the company.

We've always been 2 man crews for installs.

We're actually talking about going 3 man crews, doing furnace/ac/coil/flue/drop/filter rack everyday. 2 inside, 1 outside.

I know a local competitor that expects 2 AC/COILS A DAY.

FOR ONE GUY

Depends on the company you work for.
    "Better tell the sandman to stay away, because we're gonna be workin on this one all night."

"Dude, you need more than 2 wires to a condenser to run a 2 stage heatpump."

"Just get it done son."

Dad adjusted

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12