Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Confused Do installers always have helpers? Thinking about switching to res. installation

PLEASE answer ASAP. and THANK YOU for answering.

Hey, I am currently a service technician. I am thinking about switching to residential installation.
    Do installers always have helpers?

It gets kinda lonely when i am doing service work, and I think it would be better to do installation, if there's one extra person to help or talk to...

I have already spoke to my boss about it, and he was talking about "teams". But I was talking to someone else and they said installers pretty much go on their own.

My boss did as well say after I learn it, it will be easy to make $20 an hour...

All during school my teachers said during residential installations there's always at least 2 people.

I remember when we had our furnace and A/C replaced they had a crew of people at the house, i dont remember how many.

So will I always be with someone even as a "journeyman" or even a "lead installer" or do residential installers typically go by themselves with occasional helpers?

Depends on what you are installing. Most equipment is to heavy to move by yourself, so if you don't get a helper I would not even think of taking the job. The company I used to work for always sent at least two sometimes three depending on the job

Ride and work with a Bible Thumper for a week and you will beg to work alone!

Quote Originally Posted by PapaFuse View Post
    amen to that. it depends on who you get to work with. our company has gone through its share of talks to much, thiefs, lazy, dumba**es and anything else you can imagine. luckily one thing my boss looks at is how all of the employees get along. the 2 installers under me are really nice to work with and we have all become friends outside of work. so to answer your question yes you would usually have a helper but just remember it aint always a good thing.

Okay, I just dont want to be finished being a helper, or an "apprentice" and then be by myself after that.

After i become a helper/apprentice, I will always have 1 other person doing residential installs with me? whether it be a helper or another installer

Quote Originally Posted by comoutsid322 View Post
    My boss did as well say after I learn it, it will be easy to make $20 an hour...

...So will I always be with someone even as a "journeyman" or even a "lead installer" or do residential installers typically go by themselves with occasional helpers?
    No matter where you live, if you're a journeyman level service technician and you're not making at least $20/hr., I'd say there's something wrong. What's your experience level?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Im not talking about tech work, im talking about installation.

After being an apprentice/helper, will i be by myself? I always thought it was either 1 installer, and 1 helper, OR 2 installers, for one residential replacement, or new system.

Not as easy as that. It's not like it's a law!

I run my own shop and many of my installs are solo. Basements, crawlspaces, and attics- you do what needs done.

Service gets you more contact with people than installs by a wide margin.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals:

Okay, I just dont want to be finished being a helper, or an "apprentice" and then be by myself after that.

After i become a helper/apprentice, I will always have 1 other person doing residential installs with me? whether it be a helper or another installer
    I think you have abondoment issues, Maybe an appointment with a doctor would help guide you in the right direction. Seriously.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

all the questions your asking are starting to get into an area that you need to discuss with your boss or supervisor. these are things that can be different from company to company. for example at my company I have to helpers under me. one got promoted to level 2 installer, we still work together all the time. now on the other hand another company could say hey since your level 2 now you and the other helper are going to do changeouts on your own and ill send the lead installer to check over everything and start it up.....it all varies.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaFuse View Post
    Amen!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    No matter where you live, if you're a journeyman level service technician and you're not making at least $20/hr., I'd say there's something wrong. What's your experience level?
    I was speaking with the accountant for my company about what I had hoped to eventually get out of being there and she said no one there has ever made more than $18 - Pee Dee region of SC

Im not talking about tech work, im talking about installation.

After being an apprentice/helper, will i be by myself?
    Only your boss can answer that question.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast