Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking for a short Air handler

I am looking for a short 2 ton horizontal air handler. Most units are around 42" long. I'm looking for something about 36",can anyone recommend a manufacturer?

I don't usually have a problem in horizontal applications, but when I have a height problem in a vertical install, I go with a Ruud air handler as they are very compact and the shortest unit among the most known brands.

Rheem did have the 35" tall air handlers but you'll find very few of today's heat pumps that will ARI rate with the coil in them. If you don't care about the matchup, they are probably still kicking around out there.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    Quote Originally Posted by txcchbubba View Post
    I don't usually have a problem in horizontal applications, but when I have a height problem in a vertical install, I go with a Ruud air handler as they are very compact and the shortest unit among the most known brands.
    Keep in mind they require 12 to 18" of "takeoff" sized duct ,or cfms will suffer ,a lot.

See page X of the install manual,and the bright orange tag at the takeoff.

I agree: Rheem/Ruud the only ones that make short units like these, ones with W coil. I've done a reaserch myself this fall, needed for one job exectly the same size . That's the only one I was able to find.Just search Rheem website and catalogue of products , they have pretty good info with sizes and options. If you have problem let me know I look in my literature.

Quote Originally Posted by uke View Post
    I agree: Rheem/Ruud the only ones that make short units like these, ones with W coil.
    the dreaded low suction running W coil, worst designed coil/air handler ever produced!

Quote Originally Posted by Airmechanical View Post
    the dreaded low suction running W coil, worst designed coil/air handler ever produced!.
    Hi Airmechanical,
    As a new member, I sure appreciate Professionals like yourself that can help us homeowners sort out the maze of information is trying to get a quality system installed (yes I understand from reading here that the install is the most important part.).
    I’m getting bids to replace my 20 year old Whirlpool (Heil-Quaker) Gas Furnace (in garage) / Air Conditioner (outside). My home is an 1815 sq. ft. Two Story, Wood Frame/Stucco, built in 1987, in Southern California. After receiving bids that varied to widely (one 3.5 ton & one 5 ton) by contractors using there own rule of thumb, as an Engineer, I’ve decided to start my own research and design my own system. I purchased HVAC-Calc and I’m now working through my list of required materials.
    Starting with the Consumer Reports, I selected the Trane/AS and the Rheem/Rudd as the first candidates. Having worked through the Trane/AS line, with their 40” Furnace and 30” Coils, that is 70”. I only have 61” of height to work with; unless I want to rebuild the return platform the furnace sits on, not my first choice.
    So next I looked at the Rheem/Rudd furnaces, only 34” with a 28” Coil, for a total height of 62”, still 1” to tall, but maybe less work to accommodate that size. I’ve read good reviews here about the Rheem Modulating Furnace, I like that it is quieter that the Trane/AS.
    So my question to you is, can you help me understand your concerns about the Rheem/Rudd “the dreaded low suction running W coil, worst designed coil/air handler ever produced!.” ? I’m at the point that I’m uncertain about the differences of a W coil, A coil, etc.
    Your help and insight is greatly appreciated, SoCal Residence

the dreaded low suction running W coil, worst designed coil/air handler ever produced!

Possible, but W coil allowes them to make these units so short.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCal Residence View Post
    Hi Airmechanical,
    I only have 61” of height to work with; unless I want to rebuild the return platform the furnace sits on, So my question to you is, can you help me understand your concerns about the Rheem/Rudd “the dreaded low suction running W coil, worst designed coil/air handler ever produced!.” ? Your help and insight is greatly appreciated, SoCal Residence
    ok here goes: the dreaded (w) coil runs lower pressures than any other

a/handler in lifetime history due to its skinny blower housing which

cant pull as much air thru the coil as it should, i am sure someone from the

rheem/rudd fan club will chime in and tell you why you should buy a

rheem but i dont believe them, do yourself a favor and rebuild your return

stand to accomodate a decent system like a trane or am/stand.

Office and warehouse in both Crystal River & New Port Richey ,FL
    ok here goes: the dreaded (w) coil runs lower pressures than any other

a/handler in lifetime history due to its skinny blower housing which

cant pull as much air thru the coil as it should, i am sure someone from the

rheem/rudd fan club will chime in and tell you why you should buy a

rheem but i dont believe them, do yourself a favor and rebuild your return

stand to accomodate a decent system like a trane or am/stand.

Don't sell them,but they move exactly the cfms they should,if and only if the tabs are bent up and the takeoff is that same size for at least 12 to 18".

Seldom find them installed this way,and then yes ,we have sween 800 cfms on a three ton,correct that first peice of duct and they do just fine.

I know a guy who is about 4' tall. Handles all of our air. Really comes in handy for those tight spots.

I guess this is some of that dry wit I am accused of having.
    Everyone has a purpose in life..........even if it's to be a bad example.

Seek first to understand, before seeking to be understood.

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the replys, keep them coming. What about an ADP coil, are they short and are they satisfactory, or are they the same height as the Trane/AS units?

Perhaps I could put an ADP coil on a Rheem furnace?

Looking like I may need a 4 ton, although one contractor said he may put a 5 ton coil on with a 4 ton compressor???
    Thanks for your help, SCR

Rheem is now using the x-13 motor in it's "corsaire" line AHA series air handlers which uses the same cabinet size as the old RBHx series ahu's (35" tall ,22" deep).

http://216.122.22.11/FetchDocument.a...5-e74aeb210a3c

I have sold/installed thousands of the RBHK's over the years, and never had any problem with low suction or low airflow caused by the coil....thats just hogwash!
    Last edited by AIR PRO; 01-28-2007 at 09:08 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast