Thread: Evaporator coil misplaced?

Post Likes

Evaporator coil misplaced?

Quote Originally Posted by SadDad View Post
    To clarify, the system is installed in the attic and is lying on its side. The installation is like this: first the heater is installed with the air flow to the right (or the base of the unit), then the evaporator coil (with the apex of the coil facing the heater/heat exchanger), then the plenum with the distribution lines. Does this explanation help?
    Thread revival..
    I have this exact same problem. What was your outcome?

My contractor says he will spin it around so that the coil is pointing towards the plentum instead of pointing towards the furnace.

Post Likes
    Started a new thread.

Post Likes
    Thank you.

Here is a short video I took. If more information is needed please let me know.

http://youtu.be/dIvpUT6KKjY

Post Likes

Air Flow Direction

If the coil is downstream from the furnace (left to right in the video), then it doesn't matter which way the apex is pointing. It's designed to go either way for ease of installation in either air flow direction.

If the coil is upstream of the furnace, that is definitely wrong and should be corrected or else the heat exchanger will rust out prematurely.
    Bob Boan

​You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.

Post Likes
    X2 coil is ok in it's current configuration. If this were a downflow installation the coil could only be in this position.

Post Likes
    I don't like having the coil apex baffle that close to the heat exchanger, but that coil is rated as ok for installation like that.

I don't think you will find anything in either the furnace or the coil manufacturers instructions saying there is anything wrong with that installation.
    Personally, I'd have put a 4-6" spacer between the furnace and coil when installing one with so little clearance between top of the coil and the heat exchanger, as it makes for more uniform airflow across the heat exchanger.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I don't like having the coil apex baffle that close to the heat exchanger, but that coil is rated as ok for installation like that.
    The other end has a plastic pan. The installation is ok in its current state.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by crmont View Post
    The other end has a plastic pan. The installation is ok in its current state.
    The open end of the A coil typically doesn't have the potential to create undesirable airflow issues, like having the apex baffle sitting 2" from the HX chambers does.

Post Likes
    i see water issues coming from air blowing just under coil pushing water out of pan i would change it. coil looks old furnace looks newwas it this way with old furnace?

Post Likes
    Show me some sp#'s both ways and then I'll worry.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in