Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    I often tap my knuckles on RTUs but not often enough to call it a habit. I'm going to get one of those volt sticks monday. Way too many close calls in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by philjafo View Post
    That's for an anti theft feature.
    That's kinda what I was thinking.

Horribly scary....

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    I often tap my knuckles on RTUs but not often enough to call it a habit. I'm going to get one of those volt sticks monday. Way too many close calls in this thread.
    I always carry a volt stick. They work well about 90% of the time.

@lytning which one do you use?

Used a greenlee for years, Just this week replaced it with a Kline dual voltage from Jmart on a special price deal.

Never assume that just because you pulled disconnect or killed breaker both lines are dead.

When I was mere few weeks out I was dispatched to replace a disconnect that was wired around in a section 8 townhouse complex. I went down to the basement and opened the panel and saw main and sub main. Being new, I thought well I'll just kill everything with the main. Flipped it and the place went dead quiet and dark...good to go. I opened the outside disconnect and the thought happen to hit me...if they wired around a disconnect - what else did they do? Whose to say this disconnect is even fed by the panel in the unit. Metered it and it was hot as a firecracker. Main does not kill sub main.

I was about to dig in with both hands, thinking it was dead. I could easily have been burned, dismembered or killed.

So what's up with these "volt sticks"? Like a non contact voltage sensor? Sometimes RTUs make me nervous with all the water that sits around up there - would be nice to have something easy to rule out a short to cabinet.

A good habit is at least verify you meter with continuity setting or ill usually check low voltage first to make sure the meter is good.

That's good material for a new song

I was getting complacent/lazy recently. wasn't checking voltage after throwing disconnects. went to a building with 2 RTU's.....threw the breakers in the disconnect on the first one, changed contactors, went to the second unit. threw the breakers, opened the electrical panel,was just about to touch the contactor........the unit fired up.

made the decision right then to ALWAYS check voltage.....regardless of what I "know"......

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    A good habit is at least verify you meter with continuity setting or ill usually check low voltage first to make sure the meter is good.

That's good material for a new song
    Under advisement...even have a snap of lyric in mind. But nobody said anything stupid or demonstrated an inapproprate attitude towards an experienced, helpful and respected member.

Yea it wouldn't be about our friend Feng or Fing or whatervdf

I carry an NCV everywhere I go. It sits right next to the screwdrivers I put in my pocket.

Mine is only a 60+ volt model but great for checking to see if there's high voltage there.

It's stories like this that made me buy an eedyot-stick.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast