Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Makes me wanna get a pocket NCV

How come that thing didn't fry?

one can only assume the pull-out was never inserted.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by fenian View Post
    How come that thing didn't fry?
    The chasis is not on the fault circuit. Its just a big live wire setting in your back yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    The chasis is not on the fault circuit. Its just a big live wire setting in your back yard.
    correct me if im wrong but i dont see that operating!! the black hot wire goes to the direct single pole side of the contactor which means it goes through the compressor or through the condenser fan motor. then sits at the load side of terminal/ load 2 once the contactor pulls in its going to go down the red wire into the disconnect box to the ground bar. it will trip the breaker. IF they grounded the wire back at the panel. also its not recieving 208/240

as long as you dont allow the contactor to pull in yeah you do have a hot condenser in the backyard put a sighn that says freeeee on it!

Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post
    correct me if im wrong but i dont see that operating!! the black hot wire goes to the direct single pole side of the contactor which means it goes through the compressor or through the condenser fan motor. then sits at the load side of terminal/ load 2 once the contactor pulls in its going to go down the red wire into the disconnect box to the ground bar. it will trip the breaker. IF they grounded the wire back at the panel. also its not recieving 208/240
    That is true the disconnect box is on the fault circuit providing a 120v complete circuit to the two motors outside when the contacter closes. But, the hot white wire connected to the chassis has no contact with the fault circuit or the other hot leg. So no open breakers just a big live box. residential ranges often use the fault circuit to provide 120v to the clocks and timers of of a 240v circuit. If you had a GFCI breaker i think it would open.

I dont think the doubled RLA would necessarily open the breaker either.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    So...how did the call come in? Small animals dying around AC ?

How the hell did you not get zapped?

That's incredible.
    Awhile back HO unit quit cooling. I think some jack leg said it was a bad capacitor. So the HO had the circuit for the A/C routed for a window unit. Then the HO realized the unit was still under warranty. Called us to fix A/C after his son wired the unit back up. From what I gathered.
    Why he couldn't afford a capacitor is beyond me. But the run cap wasn't the culprit. The start cap was bad. I threw on a 5-2-1. Reset the breaker. Unit ran funny. OFM running slow. Then compressor started bogging down.
    I checked power at disconnect. 240v. Power coming in at contactor 120v. That's when I saw the wiring.
    Btw, I was leaning on the unit checking the power. Never got bit. Just got lucky I guess.

I remember my instructor telling us the first thing he would have us do on any call to the outdoor unit, including PMs, would be to meter the cabinet anywhere to ground. Literally stake one probe in the dirt and touch the other to the unit anywhere. I recall thinking "I'm never gonna do that...just looks silly to those not in the know." But I have developed the habit of of quickly brushing a finger against the unit in a sort of careless check for voltage. I dunno...one of those stupid little, almost superstitious things we do to feel better about certain risks we face daily. Like religiously pounding on the disconnect with a nut driver in a quick check for wasps.

My boss' dad pulled a wired around disconnect at the precise moment the stat cycled the unit off and failed to verify power was cut. Why would he...the unit stopped dead as soon as he hit the disconnect? He got a surprise shortly thereafter...

lets see , them two whites must go together , and them black ones go together as well , and that odd red one ...hmm... lets put that down there on the spare terminal.

Wonder if a volt stick would have shown the unit was live?

Got called to a milking parlour and dairy, steel framed building, whole thing was live, they blamed the refrigeration but it turned out it wasn't as it was on a different phase, main issolator for the building had shorted out inside in the roof and livened up the whole building!

Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Makes me wanna get a pocket NCV
    They are worth it. Have a 120 and 24v

Sent from my GSIII on Tapatalk

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast