Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    That is nothing. We had some new automatic welding machines put in last year. Each machine has a 4, 400A power supplies. When one of our 2nd shift maintenance guys wired them up they mis-wired one of the twist lock plugs. We are on 480v, 3ph. They landed one of the phases to ground. Power supplies were isolated on rubber feet. It ran for MONTHS, like nothing happened... Until a maintenance guy touched both the chassis and the frame work supporting it... You guessed it, 277v to ground in one hand and out the other. Luckily all he had was burns on each hand. I believe it has 50A fuses.

We carry NCVD in our pockets daily for all kinds of troubleshooting. I personally like the Fluke. The Greenlee I had was flaky.

CT

Working at a new gas station being built. Electrician was telling story about another sparky working in a panel when someone turned the power back on. Knocked him across room. He lived and wanted to literally kill the guy that turned the power on. No one would tell him who did it. 2 guys got lucky that day.

I carry a Klein AC checker at all times. Tried another brand (dont remember the brand but it was yellow with a white tip) and got popped because it wasnt very accurate. had guy flip the breaker off, it stopped beeping, had him flip it on and it started so apparently it was yhe breaker. I grab wires in switch and wham. Thank god it was just a furnace and not an air handler...

I believe it was Beiser who reminded us just the other day to test the NCVDs on a known live circuit.

Munkywrench - what specific Klein do you have? I have one that can check control and line voltage and the lights and beeps change accordingly. But I'm always a bit leery as I get low voltage beeps and lights on dead line voltage circuits.

I'm sure TB would be able to explain this...but it makes me hesitent to trust the NCVD.

Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    I believe it was Beiser who reminded us just the other day to test the NCVDs on a known live circuit.

Munkywrench - what specific Klein do you have? I have one that can check control and line voltage and the lights and beeps change accordingly. But I'm always a bit leery as I get low voltage beeps and lights on dead line voltage circuits.

I'm sure TB would be able to explain this...but it makes me hesitent to trust the NCVD.
    I have the one that does 60+ volts. If you move it around fast then it will go off. Have to move it slow and steady, just how we should do electrical work anyway!

I use 2

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567