Super heat/ subcooling
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Super heat/ subcooling

If I have a superheat of 14 will my subcooling always be 6, can the subcooling ever be higher. Than my super heat?

Superheat temps and subcool temps are independent of each other and can vary depending on the equipment, load, refrigerant charge and airflow

Quote Originally Posted by bkmichael65 View Post
    Superheat temps and subcool temps are independent of each other and can vary depending on the equipment, load, refrigerant charge and airflow

I'm interested in where that 6 came from!

You measure superheat on the suction line - the temperature there is telling you how much hotter the gas is than it absolutely must be to be all gas (at the given pressure).

You measure subcooling on the liquid line - this temperature is telling you how much cooler the liquid it than it absolutely must be to be all liquid (again at the given pressure).

So, like those other fellows say, they are independent....

Seriously though, what about that 6?

The 6 was on the liquid line.
    The reason for the question was I started 15 New York pkg 3:4/5/6 tons and my pressures were all over the place.and so was my sh/ sc. I understand the variables but I would think they would be some similarity,
    Thanks

Edit

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by hvac wiz 79; 03-13-2013 at 10:27 PM.

Wiz huh

Even though the units are all similar / same, the loads, ductwork, quality of insulation on linesets, amount of construction debris on evaporators, accuracy of the charge, condenser airflow, etc... may all be quite different.

But that's the point they are clean and new package units the duct work I can see different static and air flow but on start up I would think they would be similar .

Quote Originally Posted by Havoc55 View Post
    Wiz huh
    Sorry. I edited my question.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

How are you attaching your gages? Do you have to remove a panel? If so, How well is the hole (if it exists) blocked up? You could have very different condenser airflow each time....any flow that goes through your access to the compressors instead of through the coil will mean a little higher discharge pressure and a little less subcooling...

The compressors sit in the access panel/ control panel no air flow issues. The only available ports are at the compressors. No coil air flow can be changed. I just think mfr charge isn't as exact as they want us to believe.

why would you even put guages on a package unit unless you thought something was wrong and had exhausted all the other possibilities?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast