Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Yeah I had never seen the flush kit you showed that you can pressurize with air as I always used the rx-11 pressurized type. I assumed that you flushed from inside to out. I would still just be scared to accidentally spill some cleaner or something in the customers home and have it be flammable. Then again I have never seen your method done not that its much different from how I do it...

Quote Originally Posted by jakeesspoo View Post
    Yeah I had never seen the flush kit you showed that you can pressurize with air as I always used the rx-11 pressurized type. I assumed that you flushed from inside to out. I would still just be scared to accidentally spill some cleaner or something in the customers home and have it be flammable. Then again I have never seen your method done not that its much different from how I do it...
    Funny just substitute methanol for Rx11 and there you have it. Simple no problem no hassle and no different from Rx11. Who ever said you can't use air air? I use nitrogen but I would see no problem with using air also just to flush out a line set. Methanol evaporates very fast just like Rx11 and I'm sure Rx11 is flammable to but you go ahead and use Rx11.

I suspect Rx11 is just methanol with a different name and a price 10 times as much. To each his own. I have no problem with using either one other than the bottom line the price. Here is a kit from John Stone Supply with a refillable can for putting your flush in and of course they sell you a can of Ace Power flush which is also good, use it up and then use methanol after that for a lot less. Thank you, thank you very much

http://www.johnstonesupply.com/store...odB16-846.html
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

I buy it at either ACE hardware or Tru Value in the paint dept.

Quote Originally Posted by glennac View Post
    Funny just substitute methanol for Rx11 and there you have it. Simple no problem no hassle and no different from Rx11. Who ever said you can't use air air? I use nitrogen but I would see no problem with using air also just to flush out a line set. Methanol evaporates very fast just like Rx11 and I'm sure Rx11 is flammable to but you go ahead and use Rx11.

I suspect Rx11 is just methanol with a different name and a price 10 times as much. To each his own. I have no problem with using either one other than the bottom line the price. Here is a kit from John Stone Supply with a refillable can for putting your flush in and of course they sell you a can of Ace Power flush which is also good, use it up and then use methanol after that for a lot less. Thank you, thank you very much

One thing to keep in mind with using air in a lineset is that you will be blowing moisture in with it. Best to keep the moisture out, so our industry tends to stick with dry nitrogen.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Quote Originally Posted by lytning View Post
    I buy it at either ACE hardware or Tru Value in the paint dept.
    Are you using the methanol for flushing as well?
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

One thought:

If I were flushing with a chemical that is flammable... I would use N2 as the gas to push it through... In other words NOT a gas that includes O2... Remember: Fire (or an explosion) needs O2 to combust.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

double post
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."
    "I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    One thing to keep in mind with using air in a lineset is that you will be blowing moisture in with it. Best to keep the moisture out, so our industry tends to stick with dry nitrogen.
    Well if you were changing out a condenser or a compressor then I would agree with you but if you are changing out a 22 system with a 410A then both ends of the line set will be exposed to the air for a little while at least and then it wouldn't matter if you used air to push the flush through it.

Your going to pull a triple evacuation anyhow and that will take care of it. Thank you, thank you very much
    Barry Goldwater

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    One thought:

If I were flushing with a chemical that is flammable... I would use N2 as the gas to push it through... In other words NOT a gas that includes O2... Remember: Fire (or an explosion) needs O2 to combust.
    Well you may have a point there John. But we are using small quanities anyhow so I don't know how much of a issue that could be though.
    Barry Goldwater

Well you may have a point there John. But we are using small quanities anyhow so I don't know how much of a issue that could be though.
    Every install manual I have read disallows air as a pressurizing medium. What would happen if you got a static discharge while blowing air thru a line with methanol?

We sometime get a small poke using a manifold with refer running thru it.

There is a video on You Tube with a college prof. showing the arcing between two hoses as refer runs thru them.t.

Air and a flammable flush? No thank you.

One entry asks how do you get any cleaning fluid in, and that is a good question.

I have poured in solvent when the line was big enough, and I have around somewhere a little container with a screw top and fittings at both ends for small systems.

However, I think that the amount of oil in the bottom of the compressor of any factional horsepower compressor can absorb anything left in it. Recently I have not been doing much to clean the little ones and have not had any problems - just like I used to to years ago!

You have got to clean big systems. Even purging with nitrogen is going to leave crud all through the system. Just do it safely, however you do it.

Takes about 5-6 drops (visualize an eye-dropper) of gasoline to cause a BIG BOOM... Not something I want to take changes with at a customer's home.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Takes about 5-6 drops (visualize an eye-dropper) of gasoline to cause a BIG BOOM... Not something I want to take changes with at a customer's home.
    Good point. As I always blow to the outside and for what's it's worth Rx11 is also flammable and mostly methanol if not 100%. I also never have used air. Don't want to carry a air compressor along for the effort and I guess I never will. Thank you very much
    Barry Goldwater

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast