Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

paint thinner in purging air conditioning pipes

its possible to purge the ac unit pipes with paint thinner
    i use it to clean the evaporator of window type ac
    so it cleaned it from oils and other contaminant
    so what advantage and disadvantage

There are many chemicals used as paint thinner, which specific chemical/product are you looking at?

I wouldn't use anything marketed as a paint thinner for flushing the refrigerant cycle of an AC system.
    There could be components of it that will leave harmful residue in the system, and the moisture content may be unacceptable.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    There are many chemicals used as paint thinner, which specific chemical/product are you looking at?

I wouldn't use anything marketed as a paint thinner for flushing the refrigerant cycle of an AC system.
    There could be components of it that will leave harmful residue in the system, and the moisture content may be unacceptable.
    so what solvent you use to flush the ac system

unless the lines are contaminated from a burn out just blow them out with nitrogen
    We really need change now

Paint thinner sounds like a terrible idea. In the old days we used R-11 as a flushing solvent but that is no longer legal, and incredibly expensive if available at all. There is a product called RX-11 that can be used if you need something more than a nitrogen flush. Google RX-11 and it comes right up.

RX-11 is non-flammable but paint thinner is flammable. RX-11 is also approved for the use, while I would guess paint thinner is not, nor would it probably be compatable with system components. While you may not have this product readily available where you are, using paint thinner is probably not a good idea from a warranty point of view.
    Better Service Through Knowledge...
    RSES, The HVACR Training Authority. www.rses.org

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    unless the lines are contaminated from a burn out just blow them out with nitrogen
    thanx

Quote Originally Posted by tchntch View Post
    Paint thinner sounds like a terrible idea. In the old days we used R-11 as a flushing solvent but that is no longer legal, and incredibly expensive if available at all. There is a product called RX-11 that can be used if you need something more than a nitrogen flush. Google RX-11 and it comes right up.
    thanx
    some instruction about how to use it

Quote Originally Posted by rfhcms View Post
    using paint thinner is probably not a good idea from a warranty point of view.
    can you explain more

I've heard of one AC company using Naptha as a solvent to clean the lines, but they had to be very careful to get the pure stuff because many brands have oils in them. I recently heard that they are using Coleman fuel on rag rolls shot thru the suction line with CO2 to wipe/clean the gunk out, then they do a final flush of RX-11,
    All this work to "save" on the RX-11 cost, but the labor goes thru the roof!

"Rag rolls"?
    I've never heard that. Sounds like a potential nightmare

We had a rep from Lennox in the other day, and any trace elements of Rx-11 in an under warranty compressor will void the warranty.

He said the engineers now say to use R-22 to flush linesets. Even on 410a systems.

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast