REVIEW: Digi-Cool AK900 digital gauges - Page 4
Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    Looks like a dc to me

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    It is a DRSA 1200 (possibly a 1250 if the conversion kit was installed) with a YJ faceplate.

A very small amount of ingenuity and about $15 can mod your stretchy velcro sensors to small bar clamps that can fit on 1/4" lines.

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362800181.677689.jpg
Views: 703
Size:  70.5 KB

Hey Brent, welcome to the Digi-cool club.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    You have an opposing viewpoint on an instrument that you have no experience with?

You didn't make any statement about the instrument or point out anything factual or incorrect about the review itself, you just dismissed the entire review as "sugary" implying that Brent made a biased review of the instrument.

Yet, on his other thread reviewing the SMAN, you posted;

Actually, re-reading that thread (which you'll notice that I made no Pro-DC comments in) I'm waiting with bated breath your your various reviews.
    He can't help himself, it's a family tradition

Brent, Thanks for taking the time for doing another well done review.

I want a couple of AK900's, just because they display everything on the same screen, but I'd probably mod it to use Cooper thermistors, like I did my 1250.

With the addition of the SMAN3 I won at the SWRA RSES conference, I've got 5 working DRSAs though, including Digi-Cool BTD-1000, DRSA-1250, Testo 550, and 1st generation 523, so I'm out of the market for a while.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Are the Cooper sensors that much better mark?

Quote Originally Posted by hvacrmedic View Post
    Regardless,

Attachment 363421[
    This is the one I bought back in the Spring of 2007... then did the 1250 upgrade in 2010. Doug was kind enough to send me the DigiCool faceplate... so I did not have to look at the name YJ anymore... <grin>

IMO the quality of this tool is better than most of what YJ makes... putting the name YJ on a DC is kinda like putting a Mercedes or Lexus label on an economy car...

Now the Titan 2 manifold needs some work with the valves... however once one gets used to it... it is not that bad... not that good either.

I wish Doug had done the DC with the standard 4" spread... I really do not like the offsets to mount the unit on a different manifold.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Quote Originally Posted by SBKold View Post
    Are the Cooper sensors that much better mark?
    The sensor portion has extremely low thermal mass, so has a very fast response time. Not as fast as the ribbon thermocouples used in Fluke 80PK-8 pipe clamps, but MUCH faster than the standard DC or Testo thermistors.
    The response time is on par with a PT100 thermistor.
    The 4011 pipe wrap probe's sensor has some insulation behind it, and a good thermal break between the sensor and the body of the probe, so is not as subject to ambient conditions as the DC and Testo pipe probes.
    The probe and sensor shares some design similarities with the platinum based PT100 pipe wrap probe that came with my 1st generation Testo 523, which IMO is the very best pipe temperature probe produced by any test instrument manufacturer ever, period. It's to bad Testo shelved the design.
    I also like that it doesn't use velcro, time will tell on how well the elastic material holds up.
    I may try the cooper clamp probes now that I've gotten verification that they use the same sensor setup as the pipe wrap probes, but the clamps are about $100 each vs the $50 each for the pipe wraps.
    But hey, I used to buy at least one new Fluke 80PK-8 clamp a year, at $120 a pop, so it's still cheaper, and much more accurate.

I just wish there was a way to make the cooper clamps work with my Testo 550, but they use a proprietary thermistor.
    Of course now that I'm nearly completely transitioned from thermocouples to thermistors, I have a new SMAN3 land in my lap...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post

putting the name YJ on a DC is kinda like putting a Mercedes or Lexus label on an economy car...
    I don't think what you said is what you meant.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I want a couple of AK900's, just because they display everything on the same screen, but I'd probably mod it to use Cooper thermistors, like I did my 1250.

With the addition of the SMAN3 I won at the SWRA RSES conference, I've got 5 working DRSAs though, including Digi-Cool BTD-1000, DRSA-1250, Testo 550, and 1st generation 523, so I'm out of the market for a while.
    But what ones do you use (like) most often.

Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    I also like that it doesn't use velcro, time will tell on how well the elastic material holds up.
    Mark I've worn out a 4011 band from heavy use in one size range and if don't need it for large pipe all the time I just pulled the band through a little and tied a knot as the stopper so it grabs a fresh spot in the band
    “If You Can Dodge A Wrench You Can Dodge A Ball”

Cooper sells replacement elastic straps for their pipe thermistors. I got them from united and they were cheap. I think it came in a 6 pack.
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Page 4 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101114 ... LastLast