+ Reply to Thread

Thread: York Sunline unit circuit board failure

Post Likes

York Sunline unit circuit board failure

I have recently encountered multiple failures of the Simplicity board on the York 3 to 6 ton package rooftop units (Sunline). This has been happening on many different jobs with the same units. The symptom is that the blower will not come on, even if the thermostat is set to fan "on". This causes the heat to lock out on high limit, resulting in a "no heat" service call. We even had a site visit from a factory representative from York. He was rather perplexed by the problem. He recommended that along with the new board we also replace the blower contactor, thinking that there may be a problem with the coil inrush amps. We changed the contactor along with the board and the board failed again 2 days later. There is a good seal around the electrical panel so we know water is not getting in. Have any of you experienced this same problem? I would appreciate any feedback on this.

Post Likes
    I have. I believe it's due to moisture. I've seen multiple failures on 1 unit. The boards had a like a white rust I think

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanss454 View Post
    I have recently encountered multiple failures of the Simplicity board on the York 3 to 6 ton package rooftop units (Sunline). This has been happening on many different jobs with the same units. The symptom is that the blower will not come on, even if the thermostat is set to fan "on". This causes the heat to lock out on high limit, resulting in a "no heat" service call. We even had a site visit from a factory representative from York. He was rather perplexed by the problem. He recommended that along with the new board we also replace the blower contactor, thinking that there may be a problem with the coil inrush amps. We changed the contactor along with the board and the board failed again 2 days later. There is a good seal around the electrical panel so we know water is not getting in. Have any of you experienced this same problem? I would appreciate any feedback on this.
    I have encounter same problems plus compressors running without call for cooling, burners short cycling, limits tripping etc. replace the board 3 or 4 times before the problem went away, York has no idea or pretend no to know, the problems are not limited to "3 to 6" tons. the boards are prone to failure depending on the batch.

Post Likes
    Any of you guys have a manual for the simplicity board? I have a paper version somewhere in my milk crate of manuals but don't even go in it anymore since the mobile phone & tablet era

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I'm not sure about a manual for the Simplicity board alone, but there is an adapter and cable that you can buy from York and then you go on York.com and download the software for it, then you can plug into any Simplicity board and read what's going on. I will post the part numbers for the items when I find them in my notes. It works on any rooftop unit with the Simplicity board, right up to and including the 40 ton Millenium. I will look into a manual on the board and let you know also.

Post Likes
    I'd like that info also. Let us know.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gmanss454 View Post
    I'm not sure about a manual for the Simplicity board alone, but there is an adapter and cable that you can buy from York and then you go on York.com and download the software for it, then you can plug into any Simplicity board and read what's going on. I will post the part numbers for the items when I find them in my notes. It works on any rooftop unit with the Simplicity board, right up to and including the 40 ton Millenium. I will look into a manual on the board and let you know also.
    Sounds good. Thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    I just started 15 of these and was told by a factory rep to make sure the control penetration was sealed good. They have a bad moisture problem from there.

Post Likes
    We have a problem along the same lines on heat pumps where the board flashes a code 9 i believe,that means ignition board lockout? Same kind of lame excuse when you call tech support. Have it happening on 2 seperate units,on diff blds but about in the same date range. Maybe a bad batch of boards within a certain date range.

Post Likes
    I wonder if the boards are made in China, like more and more substandard quality parts entering our industry. It definitely makes sense to seal the control penetration, since the control panel is actually under a negative pressure, there are openings at the top where the blower and economizer wiring passes through, open to the blower compartment.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in