Thread: What next?

What next?

I've been in the HVAC field for 7 years now. I received a scholarship out of high school from auto mechanical and used it on a HVAC trade school. I started in installation for 3 years and the last 4 have done routine maintenance and some service repair. I have my EPA but I want to get more qualified. I know there is NATA and I would like to get my license sometime. I was looking up NC HVAC licensing I saw a Contractors License and Technician License. Is this journeymen and masters?

My main thought is I want to gain more licensing for better pay and I always strive to do the best I can.

What should I do? NATA, NC License or something else?
    "If customer acts like they know more then you, Leave!"

NATE would be a good start

Laws and state certifications vary from state to state. Here in Wiscosin there is no requirement for technician liscensing. Maybe someone else from NC will join the thread with NC specifics.
    NATE certifications are a good idea. I am about to retest to renew 6 of my NATE classifications.

Yeah I think NATE is the way to go. At my company they increase your pay for passing and it definitely looks good to put that on your résumé.

I recently got my nate cert and its definitely a good place to start. once you get more experience and know how I would look into the bpi cert. I haven't been in the trade that long either so now that I have my nate im also looking where to go from there.

I passed NATE service the first time with no HVAC school and only experience doing change outs. Anybody with a little logic should be able to pass multiple choice tests. It's hardly a bench mark.

With that said it did open a door into service. I had asked to learn service three times before taking the tests and was never given the time of day. After passing the boss jokingly said "you sand bagger" and had me with a service guy two weeks later. That was ten years ago so taking the tests ended up being a good thing. I still think anybody can pass them though.

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    I passed NATE service the first time with no HVAC school and only experience doing change outs. Anybody with a little logic should be able to pass multiple choice tests. It's hardly a bench mark.

With that said it did open a door into service. I had asked to learn service three times before taking the tests and was never given the time of day. After passing the boss jokingly said "you sand bagger" and had me with a service guy two weeks later. That was ten years ago so taking the tests ended up being a good thing. I still think anybody can pass them though.
    Anyone can pass the core without prep, but without school or studying, it would take a miracle to pass the heat pump test.

NATE certification is a good place to start, but it really only shows you have the basic knowledge in your chosen area. From what I've heard RSES certification is more of a feather in your cap.

Quote Originally Posted by bkmichael65 View Post
    NATE certification is a good place to start, but it really only shows you have the basic knowledge in your chosen area. From what I've heard RSES certification is more of a feather in your cap.
    The RSES CM exam was THE single most difficult test that I've ever taken.

Many, many people in this trade can have long careers and still not attain the knowledge level required to pass the CM.