Central AC question

Hello All,

We are looking to have central AC installed. We live in long island, NY and we have a choice from the 2 options below:

http://www.rheem.com/product/air-con...nicating]Rheem Prestige Series: 2-Stage Serial Communicating Series - 18 seer 2 stage unit

http://www.rheem.com/product/air-con...le-stage]Rheem Value Series: Single Stage Series - 13 seer 1 stage unit

The 18 seer is $$$$ more up front. I am not sure if we'll ever make that back, or if the 18 seer unit will make the house cooler than a 13 seer.

Thank you all!!

Pricing isn't allowed
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-07-2013 at 06:55 AM. Reason: pricing

You likely have high electric rates but a mild summer compared to much of the country so I doubt the top of the line will ever pay you back. A smart dealer would offer something in the middle that would be a better value for you.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    You likely have high electric rates but a mild summer compared to much of the country so I doubt the top of the line will ever pay you back. A smart dealer would offer something in the middle that would be a better value for you.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2
    That makes sense. The dealers we have dealt with all state the 13 seer is def more than enough but this dealer offered us the 18 seer because it has an instant rebate on it, but is still a decent amount more expensive. I wasn't sure if the 2 stage 18 seer would make the house feel cooler or produce a better experience. I know the payback table is roughly going to take 10 years+ to recoup the upfront cost and more or less the unit will be replaced before I would see the money back heh.

Only thing that will make a house "cooler" is running the unit at a lower indoor temp on the thermostat. What will make you more comfortable temperature and humidity wise is a unit that is sized correctly. For the most comfort the 18 seer should run more, but on a lower capacity most of the time, which will be comfort at it's best.

I don't know why contractors skip over the Rheem Classic, which is the middle model. It is a design that has proven itself, and when paired with a variable speed motor it is a good and comfortable combination.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I think that the Prestige run a little quieter, but it also has a bigger outdoor unit-hence the higher seer.
    The main thing is to keep the main thing the main thing!

If "the grass is greener on the other side", it likely has been fertilized with Bull$hit!

Quote Originally Posted by nchvac View Post
    Only thing that will make a house "cooler" is running the unit at a lower indoor temp on the thermostat. What will make you more comfortable temperature and humidity wise is a unit that is sized correctly. For the most comfort the 18 seer should run more, but on a lower capacity most of the time, which will be comfort at it's best.

I don't know why contractors skip over the Rheem Classic, which is the middle model. It is a design that has proven itself, and when paired with a variable speed motor it is a good and comfortable combination.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, I think that the Prestige run a little quieter, but it also has a bigger outdoor unit-hence the higher seer.
    With that said, would this mean both units are able to achieve the same level of comfort, the 18 seer will just do it using less power/electricity correct? I know we can't discuss pricing here, so its hard for me to give you the real life example if its worth it to get the 18 or stay with a standard 13.

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-07-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: non AOP member

Quote Originally Posted by catalina_mike View Post
    I think it will depend on how you use your AC. If you are the guy who waits until its really hot go with the 13 if you think you will be running it during mild loads the two speed will save you money. The savings is generated because you are running it at a load close to the partial speed in lieu of full load.

That's an interesting point. My wife loves the AC. It would def be used to cool the house to 72 most likely and would run from may through Sept. Obviously it won't need to be used everyday, but days that are more humid than others will need it. The 18 seer unit was enticing because of an instant rebate it came with but it was still decently more expensive than a 13 seer,

catalina_mike

This is the Ask Our Pro's forum. In order to post a response here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. You may ask a question by starting a new thread.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Additional infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.