Thread: AC Unit Too Energy Efficient for Utility Rebate

Post Likes

AC Unit Too Energy Efficient for Utility Rebate

I recently had a new furnace/ac unit installed after reading countless posts on this site. I am very happy with the results, all is running well, and this site helped me be as prepared as possible for the purchase.

I am writing now to vent my frustration with my utility rebate program. My electrical provider currently offers a rebate for a contractor installed, SEER 15 central air conditioner. The rebate application requested model and serial numbers for Furnace/AC & Coil, as well as, the AHRI reference number. I completed all this information and was pleased to find that my combination of Furnace/AC & Coil had a SEER rating of 15.2 per the AHRI website.

Well I found out today that my rebate was denied and I called to find out why. According to the representative I spoke with, my rebate was denied because the SEER rating did not equal 15 exactly. That's right, my SEER 15.2 unit does not qualify because it does not exactly equal SEER 15. Obviously, I was very confused by this, the representative confirmed I completed the application properly and also confirmed the AHRI number. The only reason he could give me was that it had something to do with testing of air conditioners and that only SEER 15 air conditioners had been tested. He promised to submit my application for review and that I should call back in 5 days, but I don't have high hopes.

Post Likes
    MeThinks there is sand in the suntan oil...

I would carefully and respectfully and politely carry this up the ladder a few rungs...

I think someone just does not understand.

If indeed they deny your rebate... then IMO the utility is blowing smoke with the rebate program... and a friendly call to the local TV newsroom for a report on the evening news might be in order...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    ditto. you should not be penalized for exceeding efficiency requirements.
    someone just doesn't know what number to put on what line.

talking to the supervisor or manager of the program
    will help to educate bean counterl

or who knows...maybe a number was transposed??
    in any case, talk to someone higher on the chain!

glad you are pleased with performance, but sorry
    you are having this problem!

best of luck.
    The cure of the part should not be attempted without the cure of the whole. ~Plato

Post Likes
    That's crazy!!! You had a system installed that exceeded the min. Seer requirement to qualify. I agree with all who have posted. You need to call and speak to supervisor and have them explain why that denied the claim?

Glad to hear that you are pleased with the install and know that the installing company did there job by installing the correct seer rating to meet the electric company guidelines. Please keep us posted...

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    MeThinks there is sand in the suntan oil...

I would carefully and respectfully and politely carry this up the ladder a few rungs...

I think someone just does not understand.

If indeed they deny your rebate... then IMO the utility is blowing smoke with the rebate program... and a friendly call to the local TV newsroom for a report on the evening news might be in order...
    I would notify legislature and PUC of state
    PUC Public Utility Commission.

I would be talking to the CEO and President of the company if I continued to get a denial of themcorrectly filled out and documented rebate application.
    Designer Dan __ It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with Some Art. _ _ KEEP IT SIMPLE & SINCERE ___ __ www.mysimplifiedhvac.com ___ __ Define the Building Envelope & Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows & Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Post Likes
    Is the "representative" from the utility company or is he from the place you did business with? With our utility company, you would have received a letter stating the reason for the denial. Something stinks here. We used to have companies keep the utility rebates for themselves until the utility company finally caught on and put a stop to it.

Post Likes
    I believe this has something to do with what testing the manufacturer has to show in order to prove their equipment is what they say it is. I havn't looked into it much, but I've heard about it. If the one type of equipment is tested, then all the rest get certified also. Sounds like the Utility Co. is taking a stand against that process.
    The only thing to do is to take a look at the fine print of the rebate process and see if it mentions anything about it that would have alerted you, or better yet, your HVAC contractor. The rebate issue should have been something the contractor would be responsible for, at least in my area it would.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    I agree with the "tipster"..........if you were promised a rebate someone should pay. Where I used to work, there was a salesman that didn't know s**t. He was always showing a SEER rating and always coming up short. If caught, he would blame the wholesaler and have them pay the difference. This went on until the wholesaler had had enough.

Post Likes
    Is the utility looking for an EER number as well?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by barkless View Post
    I recently had a new furnace/ac unit installed after reading countless posts on this site. I am very happy with the results, all is running well, and this site helped me be as prepared as possible for the purchase.

I am writing now to vent my frustration with my utility rebate program. My electrical provider currently offers a rebate for a contractor installed, SEER 15 central air conditioner. The rebate application requested model and serial numbers for Furnace/AC & Coil, as well as, the AHRI reference number. I completed all this information and was pleased to find that my combination of Furnace/AC & Coil had a SEER rating of 15.2 per the AHRI website.

Well I found out today that my rebate was denied and I called to find out why. According to the representative I spoke with, my rebate was denied because the SEER rating did not equal 15 exactly. That's right, my SEER 15.2 unit does not qualify because it does not exactly equal SEER 15. Obviously, I was very confused by this, the representative confirmed I completed the application properly and also confirmed the AHRI number. The only reason he could give me was that it had something to do with testing of air conditioners and that only SEER 15 air conditioners had been tested. He promised to submit my application for review and that I should call back in 5 days, but I don't have high hopes.
    Where are you located?

Post Likes
    The representative I spoke with was from the utility's rebate department. The utility did not require an EER number. The rebate application does have a note in red that states "SEER 15 Only". I will call back next week, hopefully common sense prevails if/when my application is reviewed. The rebate is not for a lot of money, but I can't just let this go.

Post Likes
    Show the rep this, our utility says the seer or greater >, it is supposed to be win win, you save and get a rebate, the utility uses less output. Seems they are the bigger winners at 15.2 vs 15? You should also ask to speak with their superiors.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in