Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    [QUOTE=anthonyac1;15349621]
    Quote Originally Posted by VTP99 View Post

i called our office to look on the invoice to see what someone charged it with. supposedly we installed new r12 compressor like a year ago. they see one that states r12. i know we have r12 in our shop because on our refrigerant price list we have it listed. i would use it up over my 134a any chance i get.
    Nope... this blows my theory right out of the park. Would have applied if it was a 20 year old compressor.

Nope... didn't state anything about insulation. I was talking about if the box is beat up, broken hinges, bent doors, rusted interior. If one goes through the expense of replacing a compressor on an old box like that one needs to factor in the physical condition of the box. Could the box last through another 10 or more years of abuse? If not, replace the box would be the answer for long term.

Just because you show R12 on a price sheet doesn't mean it is in stock. Put your hands on the R12 stock before making any more decisions.

Hydra could be on to something... I said capacity, he is questioning compressor HP.

Anyway... got to get back to work....

-Dad

[QUOTE=Dad;15350561]
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyac1 View Post

Nope... this blows my theory right out of the park. Would have applied if it was a 20 year old compressor.

Nope... didn't state anything about insulation. I was talking about if the box is beat up, broken hinges, bent doors, rusted interior. If one goes through the expense of replacing a compressor on an old box like that one needs to factor in the physical condition of the box. Could the box last through another 10 or more years of abuse? If not, replace the box would be the answer for long term.

Just because you show R12 on a price sheet doesn't mean it is in stock. Put your hands on the R12 stock before making any more decisions.

Hydra could be on to something... I said capacity, he is questioning compressor HP.

Anyway... got to get back to work....

-Dad
    As far as hinges and looks you would think that it's maybe 3 years old it looks good and gaskets are in good shape. I'm sure it breaks a lot though because every employee that walked by had some slick comment " I'm gonna buy stock in your company, because you make a killing on this machine" I bite my tongue or I just laugh but everyone said something lol. So that's why I'm trying to get everyone's input. But as far as insulation goes I the walls I seen a walkin box never reaching temp due to the heat comming through from bad insulation

When you start blaming insulation, it sounds like you're reaching for answers. Yes, poor insulation will cause heat loss and an icing problem, that's not what you're experiencing. I have a restaurant with a home made walkin beer cooler in an unconditioned basement which gets awful warm in the summertime. 2 sides of the box are insulated, 2 sides and the top are not, and it has a steel entry door and cement floor. The box takes forever to pull down when it's full of 70 degree kegs. Once the kegs are at 34-36 the box will maintain temp even though it's not the ideal conditions. You have a refrigeration issue, electrical issue or capacity issue. As far as the comments from the employee's, take them with a grain of salt. Everyone acts like they are paying the bills. I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable to them to steal time from their employer surfing the web.

If you think the box as a whole can give them another 5 years of life, it may be cost effective for them to repair it. If not, a new(er) box may be in order. You can inform your customer and let them decide how to spend their money.

If your boss is not backing up your diagnosis or limiting what parts you want to order then you need to find out why. Is it because he doesn't trust your diagnosis? Is it because he has issue justifying the cost to the customer because of repeated issues? Is it because he has limited knowledge? The cost of replacing all the start components is minimal and eliminates some of the guessing.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    When you start blaming insulation, it sounds like you're reaching for answers. Yes, poor insulation will cause heat loss and an icing problem, that's not what you're experiencing. I have a restaurant with a home made walkin beer cooler in an unconditioned basement which gets awful warm in the summertime. 2 sides of the box are insulated, 2 sides and the top are not, and it has a steel entry door and cement floor. The box takes forever to pull down when it's full of 70 degree kegs. Once the kegs are at 34-36 the box will maintain temp even though it's not the ideal conditions. You have a refrigeration issue, electrical issue or capacity issue. As far as the comments from the employee's, take them with a grain of salt. Everyone acts like they are paying the bills. I'm sure it's perfectly acceptable to them to steal time from their employer surfing the web.

If you think the box as a whole can give them another 5 years of life, it may be cost effective for them to repair it. If not, a new(er) box may be in order. You can inform your customer and let them decide how to spend their money.

If your boss is not backing up your diagnosis or limiting what parts you want to order then you need to find out why. Is it because he doesn't trust your diagnosis? Is it because he has issue justifying the cost to the customer because of repeated issues? Is it because he has limited knowledge? The cost of replacing all the start components is minimal and eliminates some of the guessing.
    Well I must admit you are correct when blaming the insulation your out of thoughts and looking for the answer lol. It only comes to my mind when i ran out of options! I guess I have a few issues the original one that I found was the burnt overload. I replaced and it's working but I feel off for 4 mins is short I usually shoot for a minimum of 5 mins. I'll wait and see what happens and I'll get back to this post with more answers/info we will see how it goes. Thanks for all the input.

Remember the quote about all the employees giving you crap? Since this is a troubled box and your company has visited many times could it be that your boss isn't charging for these repeat visits? If so, he may want to limit his costs. Since he isn't billing due to a repeat failure everything is coming out of his pocket. Usually a boss doesn't stifle a tech unless there is a real good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad View Post
    Remember the quote about all the employees giving you crap? Since this is a troubled box and your company has visited many times could it be that your boss isn't charging for these repeat visits? If so, he may want to limit his costs. Since he isn't billing due to a repeat failure everything is coming out of his pocket. Usually a boss doesn't stifle a tech unless there is a real good reason.
    I'm new with this company I'm not sure how they r doing the billing for the job, with this account the customer signs and the billing lady sends out the total bills for the month basically. So I don't know. They haven't told me anything I was the last one hired in 6 months n they laid off 3 people since then they told me not to worry but who knows how true that is. For the most part I carry my weight n handle my services calls. The ones that do get me I come to y'all for your support. Im not saying I'm some top refrig. Tech. Maybe they sent me there to figure out the root problem. I replaced the overload. Let's see why it gets all burnt up. From opening n closing making a spark every time. If it never over heated and stayed closed at all times it will last longer. Low ref charge, rapid on off repeatedly tripping the overload, bad start components . N more that's why I was considering the 4 minute off time. But it had no product in the cooler. Product helps hold temp, Im just mentioning my point of view. I don't take anyone's comments personal I appreciate the feed back thanks

I went back over the thread and saw no mention of voltage. Something many of us neglect to check if a unit is running. You could have low voltage issues, or voltage dropping at startup
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

I still think it may have the wrong compressor in it. You mentioned a 32oz charge which seems like a lot of refrigerant for a 4440 (1/3 hp) system.

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    I still think it may have the wrong compressor in it. You mentioned a 32oz charge which seems like a lot of refrigerant for a 4440 (1/3 hp) system.
    32oz not to much with old R12 designed systems. I have a bunch of them. Uses the AXA4440AXA too. Designed charge is exactly 32oz.

Quote Originally Posted by hydra View Post
    i called randell to confirm. they said yeah its supposed to be a 1/3 hp with 32 oz r12. i also asked about the pressures they said 21/150 i had 20/140 pretty close.

I went back over the thread and saw no mention of voltage. Something many of us neglect to check if a unit is running. You could have low voltage issues, or voltage dropping at startup
    i clipped my aligator leads to run and common while its running i was getting 118.7 volts. also monitoring the amps at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Capz View Post
    32oz not to much with old R12 designed systems. I have a bunch of them. Uses the AXA4440AXA too. Designed charge is exactly 32oz.
    I had no idea. I stand corrected.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12