Thread: replacing ThermoPride OIL furnace with NG, have some questions

Post Likes

replacing ThermoPride OIL furnace with NG, have some questions

Hello everyone, I am new here and this is my first post.

I have a 2800sqft house that is heated by a ThermoPride Oil OL5-85 furnace, and a matching ThermoPride WC20 wood/coal furnace which I do use. I am looking to replace the oil furnace with NG and keep the wood furnace.

The oil furnace is rated at 85000 BTU using no2 oil with a .75 nozzle at 80% efficiency, this is right out of the owners manual, as seen here: http://www.thermopride.com/pdf/oilfiredfurnace.pdf

It currently has a .65 nozzle installed.

I'll start with the first question and let the discussion go from there.

How do I figure out what size NG furnace to install, I am looking at a 95% effecient model now. The oil furnace seemed to perform well, in fact I am using it now, taking a break from chucking wood, and using up my oil reserves so I can remove the tank.

thanks!

Post Likes
    You need to have a 'manual j' or heat loss calculation done on the house to properly size the new furnace. You input all the sizes & details of your house (design temperature, orientation, windows, insulation, leakage rate, etc.) into the program and it calculates the rate of heat loss. This allows proper sizing of the furnace.
    Where are you? Are you done yet? I got ONE more call for you.....

Post Likes
    was there a load calculation done before the 85kbtu T-pride was installed??

have you made any upgrades to the structure since then??
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Post Likes
    I am the second owner of the house, I can only assume they did a calc. The house has not changed other than I am residing and wrapping it. It is a mid 80s split level.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in