Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    I saw a job posting for a job at a major steel producer in the midwest. I am kinda of sick of the lack of job stability in this business. Thinking a position at a mill would be steadier hours? As anyone ever worked at a facility like this?
    Jmiles, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in the uncertian climate of our current economy, no field is "Stable". If you're holding out for stability, you could just as well be holding out for unicorns to drive you to work. I'm a fairly conservative guy politically speaking, so I figure you can guess which communist Kenyian Muslim dictator that I blame for this. You may disagree with who is to blame, yet if you deny the lack of stability in our economy, you do so at your own fiscal demise. Ultimately we work hard trying to keep our jobs as secure as possible, but no field is inherently stable. HVAC and refrigeration is no less stable than any other field, except perhaps US Congressman, Senator or President. Steel mills are as subject to our shaky economic problems as any field.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbycold View Post
    Jmiles, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but in the uncertian climate of our current economy, no field is "Stable". If you're holding out for stability, you could just as well be holding out for unicorns to drive you to work. I'm a fairly conservative guy politically speaking, so I figure you can guess which communist Kenyian Muslim dictator that I blame for this. You may disagree with who is to blame, yet if you deny the lack of stability in our economy, you do so at your own fiscal demise. Ultimately we work hard trying to keep our jobs as secure as possible, but no field is inherently stable. HVAC and refrigeration is no less stable than any other field, except perhaps US Congressman, Senator or President. Steel mills are as subject to our shaky economic problems as any field.
    Well.. Our full time mill guys know where they are going everyday, have a guaranteed 40 year round, don't work weekends, work the same hours, and know for the most part what they are doing each day. I could be mistaken but IMO that is what the OP is talking about when he speaks of stability, not economic stability. Our guys are on call for their mill all the time but even it is predictable and usually they don't leave home (unless urgent) it waits for the next day.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12