Thread: Help explaining system operation

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Post Likes

Help explaining system operation

I had an addition built onto my house a while back, a granny flat for my mother to live in. This 500 sq ft addition has multiple rooms (bedroom, bathroom, kitchen/living room) and a separate heating and A/C system (separate from the original house). I believe it is called a heat pump, but I'm not sure how it works or what the function of each component is.

The components include an armstrong unit outside the house, Model 2SH31PLE118P-1, and this unit looks just like the A/C that I have for the original structure. There is also a Heater Sofit Fan Coil, Model 19 HXO-C, located in the ceiling of the bedroom closet. There is an access cover in the ceiling and when I opened it the unit itself is covered by sheet metal so I can't really see it without quite a bit of effort. Additionally there is the thermostat, Ultrastat by Honeywell, the markings on the back of this unit include "T8001C 1217(C), 0417 2A".
    The addition does have ducting, including an intake duct in the kitchen.

The system seems to be working fine, but it seems to cycle a lot more frequently than my standard heating and A/C system in my house. When the heater is on the blower cycles every 5 to 10 minutes and the air coming out of the vents seems to be cool, not warm like the air from the gas heater in my house. The air does warm the apartment down though so I'm somewhat baffled by how that works.

Anyway, if anyone could, without laughing at me, tell me how this system works and if there is anything that i should be aware of I would appreciate it. Is this a decent system as far as efficiency and energy savings?
    Thanks
    Steve

Post Likes
    Sounds like it might have a heat pump (armstong unit) mated to a horizonatal fan coil above the ceiling. That looks simila ot a first comapny air handler model number, but nothing I can find off hand. the 19, probably indicates the size. Its' roughly a 1.5 ton sytem... which seems about right for just 500sqft.

It shouldn;t cycle that often. the thermostat migth be in a poor location of needs the anticipator adjsuted properly for a heat pump. A heat pump should be running at least 10 minute cycles unless it's pretty warm out.

Post Likes
    Likely oversized. 1.5 ton for 500 sq ft is a lot but smallest made. A better stat could be set for longer cycles but would cause wider temp swings.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mackfam1 View Post
    Anyway, if anyone could, without laughing at me, tell me how this system works and if there is anything that i should be aware of I would appreciate it. Is this a decent system as far as efficiency and energy savings?
    Thanks
    Steve
    I'm not an Armstrong dealer and I couldn't find the exact model number that you posted, but I'm pretty sure it is a heat pump and looks to be a 13 SEER unit single stage unit. Researching on the internet about how heat pumps work will allow you to find an explanation that will fit your level of understanding. If we were talking face to face I could tell when I was saying something that you didn't understand and would backup and fill in the blanks so you could better understand.

Why the system is functioning differently than the one in your home can be due to a lot of different reasons. First of all a brand new amount of square footage built today is going to need less heat than the same amount built even 20 years ago. With only 500 sq ft of space the amount of heat needed even on the very coldest day would be less than your unit can produce.

I always tell customers that if the space is at the temperature the thermostat is set to then the system is working. Is it working perfectly, only an onsite visit by an HVAC expert could determine that.

There are options out there that could have given you "different" operating characteristics, but options always cost more up front.

The other thing I could suggest is looking at the quote you got to have the work done and the final billing. Either or both should list all specifications for what was installed. That added information could possibly get you more answers and opinions.
    Use the biggest hammer you like, pounding a square peg into a round hole does not equal a proper fit.

Post Likes
    Should be 2SHP13LE118

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in