Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Confused ICP Rooftop roll out safety tripping

Ok I found this rtu to have a bad heat exchanger. I replaced heat exchanger and the roll out tripped. I then replaced the safety and still tripped. I then replaced the inducer and checked gas pressur. all is good on pressure, still trip roll out. I then went and sealed all the edges around the plate of heat exchanger, inducer and any holes I found. Still tripping roll out. any ideas on what else to do. I also drill holes in bottom of cover to allow mor fresh air in.

Well if gas pressure is ok then you may have pulled one of the tubes out of the plate slightly when hauling up to the roof. Just enough seperation with allow supply air to blow back flame.

Ok I pulled the collector plate and shortened the baffles about 6 inches & hooked up a magnahelic gauge in line with the pressure switch and I increased the pressure slightly. Ran unit for 1/2 hr + and monitored temp at roll out safety and maintained a temp of 210- 220 f (trips at 300 f) problem solved!

Thats an interesting bandaid,a wire nut would had been quicker, wonder why was the rollout tripping? lets us know when it trips again.

Shortened the baffles? When the building burns down, you'll regret you made that decesion. You own this puppy.
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

what are you talking about? do you know what your talking about. the rtu will not start on fire, if it gets to hot it will trip on high temp safety. maybe you should know how a rtu works and its safeties before you spout at the mouth. Baffles are used to slow down the air movement to get more heat transfer for efficiency and also to creat turbulance to help heat transfer. so with that said if you shorten the baffles it is actually running cooler allowing the hot fumes of combustion to escape faster. Now explain to me how that would start the rtu on fire. by the way its still working and has not tripped out. you most be a union worker, paid to much and know to little, but always think your right.

wire nut ? so you would just remove the roll out sfaty? how is that safe?

well temper temper mr. john. All these guys are trying to tell you is that something was more than likely overlooked. Equipment is designed a certain way for a reason. When you alter the design without finding out why the unit was having issues in the first place, you will get bombarded with interesting responses to it from this site, and it makes you look like a hack,mcgyver, do-it-yourselfer homeowner. Do you know how to find out if you have the right fuel air mixture. ....... oh yeah. i guess the h/exch warranty is void too. All manuf. do also have tech support.

€ŁĄ

Did you replace the whole inducer assembly or just the motor? It's likely that the inducer wheel is non existent or missing vanes and there is no combustion airflow.

Quote Originally Posted by johnlmccanniii View Post
    . you most be a union worker, paid to much and know to little, but always think your right.
    Yep, you figured me out. You must be a disgruntled laid off ICP engineer who lost his job because no one wanted to listen to your ideas, so you have now decided to prove yourself in the field and can now run back to ICP and say. "See, I told you so"
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them

Quote Originally Posted by johnlmccanniii View Post
    wire nut ? so you would just remove the roll out sfaty? how is that safe?
    equally or safer than the Frankenstein you built. seriously, that unit was designed to fire and run without trimming the baffles, by taking shortcuts you derated the unit and voided the new HX warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by ADillon View Post
    Did you replace the whole inducer assembly or just the motor? It's likely that the inducer wheel is non existent or missing vanes and there is no combustion airflow.
    You might be on to something here. Because normally it is impossible to change just the motor without removing the whole assembly to get the wheel off the motor shaft. But I guess if you can shorten baffles by half a foot, you are likely capable of all sorts of amazing feats...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast