just wanted to stop by and say hi

First and foremost I would like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Keith I am a student at Redstone college in there HVAC/R program and I about half way through my schooling. I am also doing an internship with one of the cities here in Colorado, so needless to say I still have a lot of questions about this field but I am happy to be part of it. Thank you everyone and have a nice day.

Quote Originally Posted by Kschreiber View Post
    First and foremost I would like to say hello to everyone and introduce myself. My name is Keith I am a student at Redstone college in there HVAC/R program and I about half way through my schooling. I am also doing an internship with one of the cities here in Colorado, so needless to say I still have a lot of questions about this field but I am happy to be part of it. Thank you everyone and have a nice day.
    Welcome, Kschreiber!

If I may, I'd like to make a few suggestion to improve your experience are on HVAC-TALK, and in your future career.

On HVAC-TALK:

1) Browse and post as you like, but get your post count up to 15, then apply for pro status (verified students can be approved) so that you have full access to the site. What you see now is only the public side of the site. You will find our community to very valuable to you at various points in your career. You will find some of the best technical minds in the industry among our membership as well as Business owners and managers, in addition to new techs not that different than you. NOTE: be aware that it typically takes quite some time to vet your status, so the sooner you start making posts, the sooner you go pro.

2) You should read and understand the rules. We have different rules for non-members, members, pro members, and AOP(Ask Our Pros). You only need to understand the basic rules to start, you can find them here:

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?1241-Welcome-to-HVAC-Talk!-Please-read-these-rules

The most common rules that trip newcomers up are dealing with pricing, and the AOP section.

As to your education:

These are personal insights after almost 19 years in the industry, take them or leave them.

1) I recommend you augment your "formal" education with some unorthodox extra activities. specifically to get your hands on old equipment or parts and tear it apart, making an effort to understand each component's name and function. There is no substitute for putting your hands on the equipment you will be called on to install, maintain and repair. A second stage of this is to try to locate/repair simple problems. another path is to understand the circuit diagrams in a practical sense. doing any one of these will put you ahead of the pack, and could significantly speed up your progress. You need not master any discipline, just getting comfortble with the equipment will be hugely helpful later. I can't begin to tell you how many people leave trade school with no real hands on trainning.

2) There are some common elements that are missed in our industry. Learning more than the next guy will be very helpful in getting you ahead, but that is hard to see from where you are sitting. In the residential side of the trade, airflow diagnostics and design, combustion analysis, and to a lesser extent, refrigerant diagnostics are weak points in the trade. If you get good at the things that other people don't understand, you'll have a huge leg up on the competition. Some of the things that get covered in school might be borring in the classroom, but tip the balance when you are problemsolving in the field.

Stick around, you won't regret it!
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us.

Two pressures, four temperatures = SUCCESS!

Boulder Heating Contractor

For Consumers:

For HVACR Professionals: