basement room 58% humidity

Hi,
    I have a finished/conditioned basement, drywall on sides (?insulated also). There is a small, silly, maybe 150 sq ft door-ed off unfinished room. This tiny room isn't conditioned. The house is 70 F, 35% humidity; the tiny room is high 50's, but also high 50's humidity.

I read that ideal humidity should be <50 to prevent mold/etc. Should I be worried about this little room? It's not like i see any mold on the concrete or rafters. Should I add a small supply to it or do something just in case?

Steve

You most likely have nothing to worry about.

Relative humidity [RH] is relative to temperature. Hot air can hold more moisture than cold air, so the same amount of air and water will have lower RH at 70F than at 55F.

Quote Originally Posted by central nj View Post
    Hi,
    I have a finished/conditioned basement, drywall on sides (?insulated also). There is a small, silly, maybe 150 sq ft door-ed off unfinished room. This tiny room isn't conditioned. The house is 70 F, 35% humidity; the tiny room is high 50's, but also high 50's humidity.

I read that ideal humidity should be <50 to prevent mold/etc. Should I be worried about this little room? It's not like i see any mold on the concrete or rafters. Should I add a small supply to it or do something just in case?

Steve
    Occasional 60%RH is ok usally. You will need dehumidification when the outdoor dew points go +60^F and the a/c is not operating much. Continue to monitor the all of the lower levels of the home as the outdoor dew points rise this spring. When you exceed 65%RH in any space, operate a good dehumidifier. Free standing units like the Santa Fe or Ultra-Aire are high efficiency and durable.
    Keep us posted as the outdoor dew points rise. You will be amazed on how the basement %RH tracks with outdoor dew points.
    Regards TB
    Bear Rules: Keep our home <50% RH summer, controls mites/mold and very comfortable.
    Provide 60-100 cfm of fresh air when occupied to purge indoor pollutants and keep window dry during cold weather. T-stat setup/setback +8 hrs. saves energy
    Use +Merv 10 air filter. -Don't forget the "Golden Rule"

Just another thought, you could probably just leave that door opened a little to equalize things a bit. Still don't see it as a winter problem but like TB said keep an eye on it this summer.

Circulation of air would help... might look at a small vent in the room and either keep the door not quite closed or cut a small vent into the door. Result will be a small amount of air moving through the room... thus mixing drier air with damper air.

Yes, there is more science to it than this... however air circulation always helps.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14