+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips on working with a broken hand?

Post Likes

Any tips on working with a broken hand?

Yep broke my hand about 5 days ago, finally got to the doctor today and he confirmed what I already new.
    I broke it when my foot slipped off the stair tread while I was carrying a box and my right hand "broke" my fall. I broke the metatarsal that is connected to the pinkie finger, landed on the meaty part of the hand. At first it hurt but all fingers moved and after icing it I thought it would be fine. I worked last Friday and the pain wasn't bad at all until I had to write out an invoice (that was very painful) I worked on Monday and the pain was a little better.
    So to my question, has anyone else worked with a broken hand that has a cast on it, and if so what did you do to not use the broken hand?
    Any info would be extremely helpful!

Post Likes
    AS I understand (after 10 broken bones in my life), bones heal when they are immobile... they do not move. Now how does one keep a bone from moving for 6-8 weeks... while they work? Splints, tape, cast... and careful thought to avoid moving the part of the body which will move that bone. Yeah, easier said than done.

I suspect some thought, some experimentation, and some mistakes... and one will figure it out.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Your comfort, Your way, Everyday!

GA's basic rules of home heating and AC upgrades:
    *Installation is more important than the brand of equipment
    *The duct system keeps the house comfortable; the equipment only heats and cools (and dehumidifies)
    *The value of comfort, over the long term; leave economic choices behind!
    Choose your contractor wisely!

Post Likes
    you better report that for work incident. workman's comp related issue.
    Have tools and gauges, will travel.
    ------------------------------------------------------

RIDGID|YELLOW JACKET|UEI|TESTO|STANLEY|CPS|VETO| KLEIN|MILWAUKEE|MASTERCRAFT|

Post Likes
    Metatarsal fractures are rough.. Chances are you'll need a cast or at least a brace which will affect your dexterity, possibly creating difficulties with climbing ladders. One thing's for sure if you wanna get back to 100%: Listen to your doc and do exactly as he says even if it involves time off work. It will pay off in the long run. That made the difference between me having full strength and range of motion and the guy before me needing another surgery with getting up to 80% as a best case scenario.

Post Likes
    Here's the way I see it. You make a living with your hands. See a doctor and do whatever the hell he tells you to do. I see you're in NW IL. Not sure where that is but I have a great orthopedic doc who is in Chicago and the western suburbs. If your interested send me a PM
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Why is it that those who complain the most contribute the least?
    MONEY CAN'T BUY HAPPINESS. POVERTY CAN'T BUY ANYTHING

Post Likes
    ames Anthony Abbott (born September 19, 1967) is a former Major League Baseball pitcher, who played despite having been born without a right hand. He played for the California Angels, the New York Yankees, the Chicago White Sox, and the Milwaukee Brewers, from 1989 to 1999.
    Customer is alWays opposite of Left

Post Likes
    Will your boss try and go easy on you?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    you better report that for work incident. workman's comp related issue.
    Unfortunately I did this on my own time. I know sucks to be me.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonrunner View Post
    Metatarsal fractures are rough.. Chances are you'll need a cast or at least a brace which will affect your dexterity, possibly creating difficulties with climbing ladders. One thing's for sure if you wanna get back to 100%: Listen to your doc and do exactly as he says even if it involves time off work. It will pay off in the long run. That made the difference between me having full strength and range of motion and the guy before me needing another surgery with getting up to 80% as a best case scenario.
    Yes listening to Doc is priority 1, he said I could work as long as I don't over excerpt my hand. He made a brace for me and its all wrapped up at the moment. It's a b!$@# to work with though.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sac View Post
    Here's the way I see it. You make a living with your hands. See a doctor and do whatever the hell he tells you to do. I see you're in NW IL. Not sure where that is but I have a great orthopedic doc who is in Chicago and the western suburbs. If your interested send me a PM
    Thanks 2sac, I've got a great doctor too, he's taken care of my sons broken bones many times and he also handled my wife's shoulder surgery. But I keep ya in mind if something should change!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Will your boss try and go easy on you?
    Well I haven't exactly told my boss or anyone I work with that this happened...kinda dumb on my part I guess. I've only been at this company for 6 months and I really like the place but don't want to be taking a lot of time off if I don't have to.

Currently we are slowing down and they are limiting our hours to around 30-40 per week. Last week I was home for 2 days (that's when I broke my hand) and I was off yesterday.

Post Likes
    Yea with only being there six months and being slow as it is I would find it hard to break the news too.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Core_d View Post
    Yea with only being there six months and being slow as it is I would find it hard to break the news too.
    I think it would be worse not to tell the boss. What if you try to keep on working and you are unable to do something because of it? Then you tell the boss. Maybe put him in a jam because he was counting on you to complete a job and now he has to pull someone from somewhere else to cover. You just made two headaches for him. I've always gone with "honesty is the best policy".

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I think it would be worse not to tell the boss. What if you try to keep on working and you are unable to do something because of it? Then you tell the boss. Maybe put him in a jam because he was counting on you to complete a job and now he has to pull someone from somewhere else to cover. You just made two headaches for him. I've always gone with "honesty is the best policy".
    I do agree with "honesty is the best policy" and I think I'm going to tell my dispatcher, they are the ones who dole out the work, then see what happens.
    I worked today with my cast on and had no issues, even pulled out a blower motor and rolled around in a crawl space.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by KnewYork View Post
    I agree but, it would not be easy.

Post Likes
    Metatarsal fractures.........isn't that a foot injury???

Tarsal fractures are in the hand?

Look, I'm self-employed so if I'm "laid up" for any length of time Im screwed

I cut the tendon on the back of my right hand at the first knuckle. I asked the surgeon to wrap/cast it so that my thumb and index finger could still function, she said "no problem"

She cast my middle, ring and little finger together, leaving the tip of my index finger and thumb free. At least you should be able to hold a wire nut.

Writing for me is no big deal, I can write ( and throw) with either hand
    Why am I the only naked person at this gender reveal party

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    Metatarsal fractures.........isn't that a foot injury???

Tarsal fractures are in the hand?

Look, I'm self-employed so if I'm "laid up" for any length of time Im screwed

I cut the tendon on the back of my right hand at the first knuckle. I asked the surgeon to wrap/cast it so that my thumb and index finger could still function, she said "no problem"

She cast my middle, ring and little finger together, leaving the tip of my index finger and thumb free. At least you should be able to hold a wire nut.

Writing for me is no big deal, I can write ( and throw) with either hand
    Oops metacarpal bone, I can't blame that on pain killers cause I don't take them.
    I can't imagine cutting a tendon though. Ouch!
    Back in high school I tore all the ligaments in my right foot, man did that hurt, got a full cast and a set of crutches for that deal. Every time I see the movie "Misery" I cringe cause that's what my foot looked like.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stay gold jonny View Post
    Unfortunately I did this on my own time. I know sucks to be me.
    You mean you didn't try the slip and fall routine at work the next day lol.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joehvac25 View Post
    You mean you didn't try the slip and fall routine at work the next day lol.
    All my friends said to do that, but I just can't ...damn morals

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by stay gold jonny View Post
    All my friends said to do that, but I just can't ...damn morals
    Ya I know how you feel, I can't lie worth a sh!t

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in