Trane Tracer ZN521 Controller to a BMTW BCU

Trane Tracer ZN521 Controller to a BMTW BCU

I have a existing job that has a Trane Tracer Summit System with 2 Comm 4 Links for VAV boxes, and a Comm 3 Link for PCMs and a Chiller. A contractor just installed a AHU without any controls on it. They ended up hacking the whole install and nothing is working right. I saw the wiring diagram for this AHU/Blower Coil Unit had a ZN520-ZN521 on it. I called Trane and they priced me up all of the necessary controls for this AHU. I am wanting to network this device into the existing BCU. I know that this controller is a Comm 5 controller. I looked at the BCU and I saw that link 4 isn't in use. So I know I can configure it for a Comm 5 link. I just wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to run into any problem trying to network this controller in. I believe this BCU is a BMTW with a version 12 or 13 image/software. Will I be able to use this controller with this BCU? Do you guys have any helpful tips on bringing one of this controllers into a BCU? I haven't had to do this yet. I would think it would be as easy as discovering the device and assigning the neuron ID, but I am not sure.

Thanks!
    J. King

Since nothing else is comm-5 (Lontalk) on the site, the BCU probably does not have a Comm-5 board installed.

Get one of those, then you should have no problem withe the ZN controller.

Quote Originally Posted by t-reck View Post
    Since nothing else is comm-5 (Lontalk) on the site, the BCU probably does not have a Comm-5 board installed.

Get one of those, then you should have no problem withe the ZN controller.
    Does this board install near the link that I will be setting up for Comm 5? I already assigned link 4 to Comm 5 to prepare for when the controller comes in. Does the BCU wiring diagram on the cover show where the Comm 5 card goes?

Do you happen to have a part number for this board?

Thanks a lot for your reply.
    J. King

There are 4 slots for comm modules, you already have 3 installed. The Comm-5 board will go into the last one available.

I believe the part # is BRD-01670 but it may have been superseded by newer numbers. The local Trane office could verify that.

Quote Originally Posted by t-reck View Post
    There are 4 slots for comm modules, you already have 3 installed. The Comm-5 board will go into the last one available.

I believe the part # is BRD-01670 but it may have been superseded by newer numbers. The local Trane office could verify that.
    When I was talking to Trane about adding this Comm 5 card to the BCU. They asked me if the BCU had a high capacity card or not? I am not sure what card they are talking about? I was also wondering if a high capacity card is required to add this Comm 5 card?

Thanks
    J. King

If the size of the system is not very large then you don't need the high capacity card. The high capacity card adds some stability to the Lon but you should be fine without it.

Since you're only adding 1 device, don't worry about it.

At minimum I would make the system v16 sp8 preferably v17 sp11 you will need a computer w/ winxp pro or newer, lon board@(BCU), zn520, wire commissioing and assigned to bcu should take 10 minutes. lol

What controldude said, you'll want to upgrade to at least v16 summit, if not v17. The high capacity card is not necessary, just recommended when adding Lon to the BMTW. Someone (with Rover Lontalk) will have to configure the ZN521. You'll want to ensure that you have a discharge air temperature sensor, but if the local Trane guys are designing the system they should have it covered.