value of used equipment

I have a client who closed his restaurant down and has a 16 ft kitchen hood stainless steel, 3 door freezer, 10x10 walk-in cooler, couple other coolers, makeup air unit, exhaust fans that he needs to sell but I am not sure of their value. Can somebody shed some light on what this stuff's value is being used and in working condition, the hood especially, and how easy it is to get rid of, is there a website to advertise this stuff as i can store it right now if I were to buy this stuff.

Google used restaurant equipment, by brand and model, you'll find some for sale somewhere and go from there. I've had pretty good luck on craigslist and gun related forums selling coolers and freezers, Hunters and taxidermists need this stuff too.

I would have a used restaurant equipment dealer come and quote a price for the whole package. You could offer your client a price in that range. If there is something that you wanted for yourself you could offer him a little more. I have dabbled in this before. It seems like you can make your money back but I always end up with a bunch of junk and lot of headaches.

The market is flooded with used equipment. I get emails form online auctions everyday.

This is probably a late reply and equipment is now sold or junked or? FYI- used hoods are not very desirable as per the IMC code 507, most want the fire suppression system intact and able to easily hook up to the buildings alarm system. Up here in Canada, you not only have to be a electrician, but also with the Canadian Fire Alarm Asc. certificate. The 12ft hood complete with Melink VFD controllers for MAU and EXh fans go for 2500 bucks in mint condition on Ebay / craigs / Kijiji - (Canadian ebay affiliate like Craigslist).

Used equipment is not desirable, most operators/owners want energy efficiency built in them. Now, this is the perfect place on this forum with all the technician's here, that can rebuild or retro-fit an older system and upgrade it then sell to a poor old restaurant owner at lets say 50% the cost of a new one with a small warranty. Example: you have a makeup air unit, install ECM blowers, VFD's, ss hex and away you go, customisable to certain sized buildings. may be even a VFD controlled scroll and some solar panels. If you are the type of tradesman that likes tinkering in the shop on a Saturday morning, I am a tradesman and a new restaurant owner and HVAC is by far the most expensive expense in this business. I plan on having some fun on the energy optimization side, and still going by code.

A good rule of thumb is to start at half the price of what the equipment goes for new. Typically you won't get half the value unless the equipment is in really great condition and having been in use for less than a year.

I know that one equipment dealer here in TX is selling hoods fully installed for $1000/foot. This is including installation of every component like the makeup air fan, exhaust fan, and hood. But if you are looking for a price on the stainless hood alone, I would say you could get 225-250 / ft.

More like a dime on the dollar here SC.
    It's refreshing to pull your head out of the box when servicing a system.

I know it's not quite what you're looking for, but years ago like '96 or '97, I came across a department store chain that had closed its doors. There was a company in there liquidating all the store fixtures. This store had a cafι and most of the equipment had already been sold. I came upon an upright Victory freezer where I heard the compressor trying, but tripping out on the overload. I offered them $50 dollars, because of this. I took it home, replaced the capacitor and relay and sold then for $1200.
    " Go sell crazy somewhere else,we're all stocked up here.