Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The other thing I need to address is the Dual Fuel 2.5 rheem jec or jez with VS or the Dual Fuel 3.0 ton Amana 2 stage VS with comfortnet. What do you guys think. I am going for comfort and lower electric bills.

Couple of thoughts:

Rheem/Ruud (same thing) are IMO better equipment than Goodman/Amana... warranty not withstanding. Rheem/Ruud invented the MOD furnace, and I agree with BL, they make the best one (albeit you must use their t-stat). Have you considered the RPRL 3 ton 2 stage Rheem HP with the MOD? You must use the 550 stat though. I think in a week or so there will be a rebate program with Rheem available (3/15-6/15 if they do it the same as my state).

The Rheem/Ruud MOD operates an interface with the stat, measuring small temp rises and drops. The gas valve adjusts in 5% increments from 40% to 100% heat. It is really a cool (well hot ) design... a bit more technical than most other mods (which depend on a 2 stage stat for input to the algorithm on the furnace board).

Rheem/Ruud generally builds a TUFF and reliable unit. You would have to go to Trane or Carrier to get something as tough and reliable... and would pay a LOT more.

I wish you were in my area... I would like to do this job...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

You really got me thinking about going the Rheem route with the 3 ton 2 stage route. The only thing is Im gonna be living in this house for the rest of my life (Im 28) and I want this to be the first and last system I ever buy. The warranty is whats swaying me towards the Amana system instead of the Rheem outfit. The Rheem has demand defrost and looks to be better built but is there any other plus sides to it over the Amana? Like how does the Amana modulate and how does the Rheem modulate. I have read on the the net which I take with a grain of salt that if anything ever happens that goodman/amana is alot easier to deal with on warranty claims then Rheem is. The other thing is the Rheem/Ruud is a little more expensive then the Amana with a lesser warranty. If the Rheem had the same warranty we wouldnt be having this conversation as it would be a no brainer to go Rheem. What do the fan boys or either brand have to say about the reliability of these systems as the best warranty is the one you dont have to use at all.

I will be getting the proper communicating stat with either system I choose as Im not gonna skimp on anything as this is an important, HOPEFULLY one time purchase. Thats why Im going high seer and high hspf because I have a long time for the ROI to come back around. My options were American Standard, Armstrong, Rheem and Goodman/amana and I have narrowed down best bang for buck being Rheem and Goodman/Amana. It might be different in your area but my contractor gave me the best prices for what I am getting on the rheem and amana so thats what Im is the process of reseaching.

IMO the Goodman/Amana warranty (labor) would be necessary if you choose that route... from what I hear they generally require a lot more service. And when the 10 years is out... it is your $$$.

Just something to consider: Systems generally last around 15-18 years... so you will be buying another one down the road. And the way technology and efficiencies are growing... by that time your system will be sorely out of date and very costly.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

+1. Think about a 20 year old system right now. It will be between 8-12 SEER and an 80% or 90% furnace. The new standard is 95-98% furnaces and 13-20 SEER AC. It's a small jump in furnace effciency, but a leap in AC or heat pump effciency. In 15 years, the minimum effciency will likely be at least 16 SEER and 95% gas furnaces with high end air cooled AC systems at 20-30SEER.

I do like the rheem demand defrost and the way the rheem furnace modulates but the amana has a lifetime compressor warranty and lifetime hx with complete unit replacement if they were to go bad. I still don't understand the amana modulating as in does it go up down and in what increments.

Quote Originally Posted by 6speedb4c View Post
    I do like the rheem demand defrost and the way the rheem furnace modulates but the amana has a lifetime compressor warranty and lifetime hx with complete unit replacement if they were to go bad. I still don't understand the amana modulating as in does it go up down and in what increments.
    Might want to check out the warranties at Rheem... they are not that far away.

Might also want to read the fine print... these warranties are not as simple as they look... like all other warranties.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

What system would you guys go with Rheem or Amana apples to apples as far as seer,hspf,VS,2 stage and communicating 16 seer 95 modulating dual fuel systems. The warranties arent the same but the contractor says the distributors are good for both of them in our area and for that matter he will get me almost some variant of any brand, but these are the onesI can afford. So which one would you put in your home? I havent seen any new amana stuff or rheem stuff, but I know the old Rheem stuff looked to be built like a tank. LOL not very pretty but I couldnt careless about looks, I want dependability. My folks just had the one company in our area from the contractor locator map on this site put in a super nice zoned carrier hybrid system and I want to compete with it. LOL

Tuff call...

I have toured the Goodman plant... was not impressed.

I installed Rheem/Ruud for close to 10 years, like the product.

Having said that... both have had issues.

Might check consumer reporting sites... find out which ones have fewer service issues.

Remember installation is more important than product.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12