Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dijit View Post
    I have a friend that used to be in the arms manufacturing business. This is the same thing that happened about 5 years ago during that ammo shortage. All the big manufacturers do government contracts. As part of the deal, they MUST accept orders and if they don't they will be shut down. The gov. has contracted them to make as much ammo as they can in the prescribed period. (one year I think). This is not a secret, but apparently not common knowledge. They basically binge and purge. Stockpile then use the ammo. With the wars and possible problems with Iran, and North Korea, they are currently stockpiling. When they get their fill, the ammo manufacturers will return to normal production, but while they are making ammo for the government, that is all they are doing. This is nothing new, just business as usual.
    most of the ammo that the government ordered is 40cal Hydro-shok hollow point. Which is illegal to use in war. The military doesn't use 40cal...anything? Part of that same order is for 9mm, THAT the government uses a LOT.

let not forget the 2700 armored vehicles they just ordered.
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Hmm

Very correct, about every 7 years we have to exchange the supply we have all around the world so that it does not become stale or start to corrode. As most of this is in ships just floating out in the oceans to be called up when needed, it has to be replenished. Then there is the ammo used during the war as a large amount was used and has yet not been replaced, but it does look as though the supply is starting to return to store shelves. keep your supply high and rotate your stock so that you won't get caught short.
    Last edited by Abrnth3; 03-16-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: spell check

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    most of the ammo that the government ordered is 40cal Hydro-shok hollow point. Which is illegal to use in war. The military doesn't use 40cal...anything? Part of that same order is for 9mm, THAT the government uses a LOT.

It is interesting to note that I went to a local gun store yesterday and 40 cal was the only thing on the shelf for handgun ammo. I wanted 38 and 40 but was able to buy plenty of 40 but no 38 and 38 is a revolver ammo while 40 is mostly for semiauto handguns.

No problem with getting rifle ammo with the exception of 22 and 223.

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh B View Post
    It is interesting to note that I went to a local gun store yesterday and 40 cal was the only thing on the shelf for handgun ammo. I wanted 38 and 40 but was able to buy plenty of 40 but no 38 and 38 is a revolver ammo while 40 is mostly for semiauto handguns.

No problem with getting rifle ammo with the exception of 22 and 223.
    no kidding? the shelves around here are empty. Bird shot is available, but the price is going up.

I reload 40cal and 30-30, so Im good-to-go
    LOVE has four letters

This is not true. You are talking about the DHS order that has been floating around in the media, I believe. This is not the only government contract being manufactured. It is just the only one being talked about. I don't like the idea anymore than the next guy, but that is beside the point. Not only are there military contracts being manufactured for our government but for our allies overseas by American as well as foreign companies. This isn't the first time there has been an ammo shortage... and it wont be the last. It is no coincidence that all of the ammo shortages I have experienced have happened during times of war. Think about how many rounds are expelled every day overseas, and then think about how North Korea and Iran are getting all uppity. You don't think this would have an impact on ammo availability here? The military doesn't make their own anything, it is all bought from private companies including airplanes, tanks, etc. When their demand goes up, our supply goes down. And to top it off, many ammo brands are really not manufactured by that company, they are manufactured by the same one or two that makes the others just in a different box. When those big manufacturers are busy, guess what happens to the availability of their products.

This is not true. You are talking about the DHS order that has been floating around in the media, I believe. This is not the only government contract being manufactured. It is just the only one being talked about. I don't like the idea anymore than the next guy, but that is beside the point. Not only are there military contracts being manufactured for our government but for our allies overseas by American as well as foreign companies. This isn't the first time there has been an ammo shortage... and it wont be the last. It is no coincidence that all of the ammo shortages I have experienced have happened during times of war. Think about how many rounds are expelled every day overseas, and then think about how North Korea and Iran are getting all uppity. You don't think this would have an impact on ammo availability here? The military doesn't make their own anything, it is all bought from private companies including airplanes, tanks, etc. When their demand goes up, our supply goes down. And to top it off, many ammo brands are really not manufactured by that company, they are manufactured by the same one or two that makes the others just in a different box. When those big manufacturers are busy, guess what happens to the availability of their products.
    according to Forbes, the U.S. Government has enough ammo for a sustain war for 30 years ???? and they are hollow points, which is against the rules of war
    LOVE has four letters

according to Forbes, the U.S. Government has enough ammo for a sustain war for 30 years ???? and they are hollow points, which is against the rules of war
    "US government" is a very broad term. Who has the hollow points? We know DHS has ordered some, probably FBI has lots, Boarder Patrol? ATF?. None of these agencies are bound by geneva convention because they are police, not military.

And do hollow points really matter? Does a hollow point kill you any deader than a 308 FMJ? There are many situations when they are less effective than a standard lead or jacketed bullet. That's why Hornady came out with their "CDR" (I believe that's what it's called). I have been loading my own ammo for years, and I would never load a hollow point as a defensive round. A barnes hollow point, maybe, but there are more reliably devastating bullets available than your standard hollow point.

"US government" is a very broad term. Who has the hollow points? We know DHS has ordered some, probably FBI has lots, Boarder Patrol? ATF?. None of these agencies are bound by geneva convention because they are police, not military.

And do hollow points really matter? Does a hollow point kill you any deader than a 308 FMJ? There are many situations when they are less effective than a standard lead or jacketed bullet. That's why Hornady came out with their "CDR" (I believe that's what it's called). I have been loading my own ammo for years, and I would never load a hollow point as a defensive round. A barnes hollow point, maybe, but there are more reliably devastating bullets available than your standard hollow point.
    thats EXACTLY the point. If the DHS is a police agency, why do they need 1.6 billion rounds of hollow point ammo. To give you a perspective: 1.6 billion rounds of ammunition is enough to plug every man, woman and child in the United States five times, with a couple hundred million rounds left over for the extremely hardy. AND this is an open ended order that is going to FEMA and DHS.

According to the AP story a DHS spokesperson justifies this acquisition to “help the government get a low price for a big purchase.” Peggy Dixon, spokeswoman for the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center: “The training center and others like it run by the Homeland Security Department use as many as 15 million rounds every year, mostly on shooting ranges and in training exercises.”

At 15 million rounds (which, in itself, is pretty extraordinary and sounds more like fun target-shooting-at-taxpayer-expense than a sensible training exercise) … that’s a stockpile that would last DHS over a century. To claim that it’s to “get a low price” for a ridiculously wasteful amount is an argument that could only fool a career civil servant.
    With the sequester, there is no way the government can justify an order this large. On top of that, the DHS is spending $50 million on new (re-designed) uniforms. Talk about an agency that realy doesn't care about spending...sheesh
    LOVE has four letters

Just picked a bunch of 40 plinkers the other day. Price was cheap at 21 a box.
    The Border Patrol was there with 30-35 trucks on their day off at overtime to qual at their 1000 round minimum per year.

Ready on the right, ready on the left, at my command fire one round,commence fire.
    FEN

Quote Originally Posted by the mojo View Post
    Just picked a bunch of 40 plinkers the other day. Price was cheap at 21 a box.
    The Border Patrol was there with 30-35 trucks on their day off at overtime to qual at their 1000 round minimum per year.

Ready on the right, ready on the left, at my command fire one round,commence fire.
    there is nothing new around here. Even powder is tough to find. If it shows up at the store you better be there when they put it on the shelf or your going to be outa luck
    LOVE has four letters

I heard that some of those mraps have flame throwers.... probably going to use them when they pull up to the home of a registered gun owner......Id say they already have a national database of ccw permitted folks and of folks who have passed a background check to purchase a firearm....and will probably just torch the house first where they think that a homeowner might have a loaded weapon in the house.

I read on one blog.... that actually backed his info up by referencing another blog..... that the DHS also is secretly purchasing.......thru a commercial trucking company.. a couple of hundred tanker trailers..... as support equipment........ and that the only reason the DHS would be purchasing any kind of tanker truck would be to haul whatever mixture of fuel they use for flame throwers.
    YOU SHALL REAP WHAT YOU HAVE _______ SOWN

Quote Originally Posted by corny View Post
    I heard that some of those mraps have flame throwers.... probably going to use them when they pull up to the home of a registered gun owner......Id say they already have a national database of ccw permitted folks and of folks who have passed a background check to purchase a firearm....and will probably just torch the house first where they think that a homeowner might have a loaded weapon in the house.

I read on one blog.... that actually backed his info up by referencing another blog..... that the DHS also is secretly purchasing.......thru a commercial trucking company.. a couple of hundred tanker trailers..... as support equipment........ and that the only reason the DHS would be purchasing any kind of tanker truck would be to haul whatever mixture of fuel they use for flame throwers.
    Well, they can burn me here on earth for all care but they will be the ones burning in hell for eternity for their evil doings; and that's a fact Jack.
    If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what will never be. (Thomas Jefferson 1816)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...tml?cmpid=yhoo

Or they could use the DHS new toys on those who refuse to surrender,when they won't comply.
    FEN

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast