+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hilmor Swage tool

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Ok. I checked Fierychill.com today. They have changed all ship dates to March 18,2013. It was March 4 a week or two ago.

And the prices on the digital gauge set has increased by $100 since a few weeks ago.

Disappointed in the poor start by Hilmor tools. Get it together.
    LOL what did ya expect, Brent?

besides, those digitals look dated compared to whats on the market today

BTW thanks for the review of the SMAN4's
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    I thought hard copper was doable if annealed? Am I mistaken?
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    not sure. all i know is every time i've tried to execute a swage on hard copper... fail lol
    It has to be annealed first, but you can use a tubing expander or bender if the copper is annealed first. You need to have nitrogen purging through the pipe while annealing it though, so it is usually just easier/cheaper to use fittings on hard copper.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It has to be annealed first, but you can use a tubing expander or bender if the copper is annealed first. You need to have nitrogen purging through the pipe while annealing it though, so it is usually just easier/cheaper to use fittings on hard copper.
    as i've always ended up doing anyways lol

but have you seen the price of 1 5/8" fittings lately
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    but have you seen the price of 1 5/8" fittings lately
    Not specifically, but the 120' 5/8x2 1/8 line set I did a couple of years ago was about $4200 worth of just copper pipe and fittings. It was about $11/ft for the 2 1/8 pipe, and $25 each for LR 90's. The 2 1/8 x 1 1/8 x 1 1/8 tee fitting was close to $40.
    I'm guessing it would be closer to $6k worth of copper today.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Thanks Brent. Listed for 355 bananas. That kit only goes to 1 1/8". Pay extra for bigger heads. Don't think I am going to be buying.
    Tell that dude in your avatar (Mr Carrier) to stop staring at me.
    The only kit i can find only goes to 7/8. If you see a kit to 1 1/8 could you provide a link? What I see at Fiery Chill doesn't list sizes but only shows 5 expander heads.

http://hilmor.com/products/compact-swage-tool

Kit Contents: 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4” and 7/8” Expander Heads, Deburrer and Compact Swage Tool

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    The only kit i can find only goes to 7/8. If you see a kit to 1 1/8 could you provide a link? What I see at Fiery Chill doesn't list sizes but only shows 5 expander heads.

http://hilmor.com/products/compact-swage-tool

Kit Contents: 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4” and 7/8” Expander Heads, Deburrer and Compact Swage Tool

Yep, the one place that they have it listed for sale is misleading or confusing at best. Its a new product and I guess they have some "bugs" to work out. I wonder how many "bugs" might need to be worked out of the acutal product as well. It looks interesting but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near one of the first guys to spend $$$$$ on it.

Post Likes
    Personally I do not see the advantage of a right angle head.

My YJ hydraulic iss just as easy to use with my right or left hand.

Up to now I have had no trouble getting into tight spots.

The fact Hilmor does not go to 1 5/8 (have to buy bigger heads) is not appealing.

The fit and finish on Hilmor is better, but I don't buy mechanical tools for aesthetic reasons. I am a little unsure of Hilmor after the price increases. It's not like they had a deeply rooted presence and had earned themselves a reputation here yet.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac5646 View Post
    Personally I do not see the advantage of a right angle head.

My YJ hydraulic iss just as easy to use with my right or left hand.

Up to now I have had no trouble getting into tight spots.

The fact Hilmor does not go to 1 5/8 (have to buy bigger heads) is not appealing.

The fit and finish on Hilmor is better, but I don't buy mechanical tools for aesthetic reasons. I am a little unsure of Hilmor after the price increases. It's not like they had a deeply rooted presence and had earned themselves a reputation here yet.
    Are you talking about the reverse angle adapter????
    Lol
    Has nothing to do with right hand, or left hand!
    Maybe you were just pulling our chain!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    Are you talking about the reverse angle adapter????
    Lol
    Has nothing to do with right hand, or left hand!
    Maybe you were just pulling our chain!

sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Talking about what the Hilmor Rep said in the video.

Post Likes
    Ok, checked the Hilmor website about this product again tonight.

It now lists that it will swage pipe as large as 1-5/8" diameter. The kit only has sizes up to 7/8 but the larger size heads are sold separately.

I'm glad they finally got this listed correctly.

Post Likes
    The price of the swage tool went up also. Not one sold and already raising prices.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    I just bought one of the Hilmor Swaging Kits at Johnstone yesterday. Wont release from the tubing after expanding. I have to unscrew the die from the body. Plus the Chrome plating on the Hydraulic body is already starting to bubble. Going back tomorrow.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by FillthyMonkey View Post
    I just bought one of the Hilmor Swaging Kits at Johnstone yesterday. Wont release from the tubing after expanding. I have to unscrew the die from the body. Plus the Chrome plating on the Hydraulic body is already starting to bubble. Going back tomorrow.
    That's not surprising.

I have never been more disappointed in a tool manufacturer than I am with Hilmor.

I was really excited when their advertising campaign came out "Retool and Conquer".

But once the product hit the market combined with their lack of customer service, it didn't take long for the excitement to turn to disappointment.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    I was really excited when their advertising campaign came out "Retool and Conquer".

But once the product hit the market combined with their lack of customer service, it didn't take long for the excitement to turn to disappointment.
    I was looking forward to some of their stuff too, especially after getting some hands on with them at the AHR Expo.

I guess it shouldn't come as any great surprise, the same parent company that owns Hilmor also owns the Lennox and Irwin tool brands, so they already have a solid track record for acquiring and ruining previously respected brands by delivering 2nd rate products.

Post Likes
    I bought the orbital flaring tool today and it was the best I have used. Lets hope it stands the test of time.

Post Likes
    One of our techs has their digital gauges. Less than a month old and the high side of the manifold when opened will not allow any pressure to go through. I told him to send it back and try the smans. (they said if he did not like them he could bring them back and switch)

Also another one has there 10 in 1 and the metal piece inside the handle. pulls out when you try to flip the shaft around. Same with the 1/4 to 5/16 nut driver i got 2 weeks ago the inset pulls out with the shaft.

Post Likes
    I wonder If/When Milwaukee will make those copper swage heads for there ProPex Expander, The Heads and Expander part Look damn near identical in design to me....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in