Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 14 to 26 of 37
  1. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Fayetteville, NC
    Posts
    280
    I looked at that swagging tool today at out local supply house's open house. Ive never used one of that type before but it was smooth operating. The piece of tubing I swagged was not de burred and it expanded it with out any cracks. The rep said it was about 320 bones. There digi gauges were pretty interesting though.

  2. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    from a trusty name in the game.

    http://www.yellowjacket.com/product/987

    great tool. saves money and time i bought this rig for $325 bones, shipped to my door

    BTW didn't know they made soft copper over 1 1/8" I tried swaging some 1 5/8" coper not long ago.. and all it did was split
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  3. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    Quote Originally Posted by SgtBone View Post
    I looked at that swagging tool today at out local supply house's open house. Ive never used one of that type before but it was smooth operating. The piece of tubing I swagged was not de burred and it expanded it with out any cracks. The rep said it was about 320 bones. There digi gauges were pretty interesting though.
    interesting lol

    you'd be better spent to buy a set of SMAN3 or 4's
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  4. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    from a trusty name in the game.

    http://www.yellowjacket.com/product/987
    The Hilmor one is much smoother and easier to use than the YJ one. It is also more compact, and its right angle design should make for better access in many situations.
    Its fit and finish is better too.

    Don't get me wrong, the YJ one is a great tool, it is just a dated design.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  5. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Fremont, Indiana
    Posts
    1,412
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    from a trusty name in the game.

    http://www.yellowjacket.com/product/987

    great tool. saves money and time i bought this rig for $325 bones, shipped to my door

    BTW didn't know they made soft copper over 1 1/8" I tried swaging some 1 5/8" coper not long ago.. and all it did was split
    I thought hard copper was doable if annealed? Am I mistaken?

    sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    Member of the "Work Exchange Program"
    "Will work for knowledge"

    "Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"
    A Einstein

  6. #19
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Savannah, Ga/H.H. Island, S.C.
    Posts
    1,401
    Ok. I checked Fierychill.com today. They have changed all ship dates to March 18,2013. It was March 4 a week or two ago.

    And the prices on the digital gauge set has increased by $100 since a few weeks ago.

    Disappointed in the poor start by Hilmor tools. Get it together.

  7. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    I thought hard copper was doable if annealed? Am I mistaken?

    sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note
    not sure. all i know is every time i've tried to execute a swage on hard copper... fail lol
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  8. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Ok. I checked Fierychill.com today. They have changed all ship dates to March 18,2013. It was March 4 a week or two ago.

    And the prices on the digital gauge set has increased by $100 since a few weeks ago.

    Disappointed in the poor start by Hilmor tools. Get it together.
    LOL what did ya expect, Brent?

    besides, those digitals look dated compared to whats on the market today

    BTW thanks for the review of the SMAN4's
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  9. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by kamersoutdoor View Post
    I thought hard copper was doable if annealed? Am I mistaken?
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    not sure. all i know is every time i've tried to execute a swage on hard copper... fail lol
    It has to be annealed first, but you can use a tubing expander or bender if the copper is annealed first. You need to have nitrogen purging through the pipe while annealing it though, so it is usually just easier/cheaper to use fittings on hard copper.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  10. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Waffleville
    Posts
    10,339
    Quote Originally Posted by mark beiser View Post
    It has to be annealed first, but you can use a tubing expander or bender if the copper is annealed first. You need to have nitrogen purging through the pipe while annealing it though, so it is usually just easier/cheaper to use fittings on hard copper.
    as i've always ended up doing anyways lol

    but have you seen the price of 1 5/8" fittings lately
    If Guns Kill People, Do Pencils Misspell Words?

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=An2a1...eature=related

    Before we work on artificial intelligence why don't we do something about natural stupidity?

  11. #24
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Quote Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
    but have you seen the price of 1 5/8" fittings lately
    Not specifically, but the 120' 5/8x2 1/8 line set I did a couple of years ago was about $4200 worth of just copper pipe and fittings. It was about $11/ft for the 2 1/8 pipe, and $25 each for LR 90's. The 2 1/8 x 1 1/8 x 1 1/8 tee fitting was close to $40.
    I'm guessing it would be closer to $6k worth of copper today.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  12. #25
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Andalucia
    Posts
    3,220
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Thanks Brent. Listed for 355 bananas. That kit only goes to 1 1/8". Pay extra for bigger heads. Don't think I am going to be buying.
    Tell that dude in your avatar (Mr Carrier) to stop staring at me.
    The only kit i can find only goes to 7/8. If you see a kit to 1 1/8 could you provide a link? What I see at Fiery Chill doesn't list sizes but only shows 5 expander heads.

    http://hilmor.com/products/compact-swage-tool

    Kit Contents: 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4” and 7/8” Expander Heads, Deburrer and Compact Swage Tool
    "War is cruelty,and you cannot refine it." Sherman to the leadership of Atlanta prior to burning the city.

    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    Albert Einstein

    Romney campaign: "We're not going to let our campaign be ruled by fact-checkers,"

    Lindsey Graham: “We’re not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term.”

  13. #26
    newoldtech's Avatar
    newoldtech is offline ARP Committee/Professional Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    3,931
    Quote Originally Posted by pageyjim View Post
    The only kit i can find only goes to 7/8. If you see a kit to 1 1/8 could you provide a link? What I see at Fiery Chill doesn't list sizes but only shows 5 expander heads.

    http://hilmor.com/products/compact-swage-tool

    Kit Contents: 3/8”, 1/2”, 5/8”, 3/4” and 7/8” Expander Heads, Deburrer and Compact Swage Tool

    Yep, the one place that they have it listed for sale is misleading or confusing at best. Its a new product and I guess they have some "bugs" to work out. I wonder how many "bugs" might need to be worked out of the acutal product as well. It looks interesting but I wouldn't want to be anywhere near one of the first guys to spend $$$$$ on it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event