Hilmor Swage tool
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hilmor Swage tool

Looks interesting. Anybody using this? Any ideas on price and where to buy?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Hilmor Swage tool

Fierychill.com. That's the only place I've seen Hilmor for sale.

But all Hilmor products are not available until March 4, 2013.

Much better to use the tried and true screw swaging tool, the expanding only swaging tool makes the pipe weaker. Where as the screw type compresses and expands at the same time keeping the joint thicker.

their web site gives a locator, I'm still trying to determine if they bought a mfg and re-branded the product or......

Rothenberger has had the expander out for 30 yrs.

some of their products look intriguing enough to give a try.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

They're a partner brand with Lenox and Irwin. Under the parent company of Newell-Rubbermaid.

Quote Originally Posted by billg View Post
    Much better to use the tried and true screw swaging tool, the expanding only swaging tool makes the pipe weaker. Where as the screw type compresses and expands at the same time keeping the joint thicker.
    The family business has been using Imperial Eastman swage and flare sets for over thirty years. They are great but the we now have the YJ pneumatic tube expander and the wall thickness does not look to be compromised in the least.

I don't agree that the expander weakens the wall. I have had copper split on me using the screw type swage...seems to me the the quality of the copper would be at fault if it's splitting.

The expander is also very expedient for fashioning swages ...much quicker that screw type.

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    Fierychill.com. That's the only place I've seen Hilmor for sale.

But all Hilmor products are not available until March 4, 2013.
    Thanks Brent. Listed for 355 bananas. That kit only goes to 1 1/8". Pay extra for bigger heads. Don't think I am going to be buying.
    Tell that dude in your avatar (Mr Carrier) to stop staring at me.

Don't worry jnsrose, my avatar judges everyone equally. Haha.

But your right about the price. Most of the Hilmor tools seem very overpriced. I hope that after the availability date the price will come down.

I use the Imperial screw type for 3/8 and smaller. The hydraulic types work well for the larger sizes. You need to remove the lip left when cutting the copper.
    Doug

I is a cool looking gadget. Was contemplating a hydraulic swage tool this year. May wait to see if they drop the price. One handed would be a big deal for me. May be willing to pay a little extra but that price is crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    I is a cool looking gadget. Was contemplating a hydraulic swage tool this year. May wait to see if they drop the price. One handed would be a big deal for me. May be willing to pay a little extra but that price is crazy.

That stuff looks way overpriced. My flare/swage tool is 25+ yrs old and still going strong. It is a Rothenberger. Wish they still made tools like they used to.

Hilmor's new manifold set looks cool, but I worry about the servo motors on the gauges. Can't wait for some brave soul, with extra money to spend, to try some out and let us know how they work.

Quote Originally Posted by meplumber View Post
    That stuff looks way overpriced.
    I'm thinking the prices listed are list prices, not what the tools will actually be selling for.
    The tubing expander and tubing benders have better fit and finish than competing tools on the market, so no tellin.

Hilmor's new manifold set looks cool, but I worry about the servo motors on the gauges.
    Not to worry, the pressure is shown on the digital display, the servo motor driven gauges are largely useless, just there to comfort those that can't handle not having a dial moving over a gauge face.
    I'd rather they dump the silly dial gauges completely, and pass the cost savings on to the end user.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast