Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ok next question are they actual CTs(giving you an amp reading) or are they a current switch and just giving you a contact closure?
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

Quote Originally Posted by joey791 View Post
    Ok next question are they actual CTs(giving you an amp reading) or are they a current switch and just giving you a contact closure?

They are on/off, self powered.

Where you going with this?

GT
    If a day goes by and you have learned nothing, I hope you got a lot of sleep.

Did you ever look at the comm link with a scope while the generator is running?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Tech Rob View Post
    Did you ever look at the comm link with a scope while the generator is running?
    Yeah and saw virtually no change, I also tested it with the comm disconnected. Same same...

GT

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    Yeah and saw virtually no change, I also tested it with the comm disconnected. Same same...

GT
    Did you compare it to the waveform I sent you?
    "There is no greater inequality than the equal treatment of unequals."

-Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by GT Jets View Post
    They are on/off, self powered.

Where you going with this?

GT
    Long story short, I had pretty much the same issue with a York Chiller and a Trane chiller, the York was an older centrifigual with the wrong CT on it(half the size it should have been). When it would start it would cause the controller to read wierd, cut inputs on and off and all kinds of stuff. My contoller took 0-5VDC as an input, on startup the CT would generate 14VDC
    Quote Originally Posted by MatrixTransform View Post
    very soon it is you that will be pwned

What year is the generator. Back in the day we had issues with shielding generators causing interference with electronics. Sometimes you could provide a better ground for the gen set and it would get rid of the issue. Then other times you had to isolate the ground to prevent interference.

Found it today...............

So check this out.

They did a shut down ans service of the back up generator (big Cat from the mid 1990's) and found a bad speed sensor, this was causing the generator to run at 1650 instead of 1800 rpms.

After the transfer switch would switchover, the load switch would make the generator run at 1800. We think because of the added vibration of the load.

A new speed sensor, an updated PROM and a quick test and it seems to work great.

It still doesn't explain why it will do it with a fist pound on the top of the cabinet.

GT

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12