Heat pump gave up the ghost need help in purchase decision

Hi All-
    Our heat pump quit working last week... It's 20 years old, so I knew it was coming.
    Our heating situation is this:
    Live in Pac NW in a colder area outside of Seattle.
    2100 sq foot rambler built in the late 80's
    Propane aux heat, furnace 80 percent efficient, also from the 80's, this is installed in a hall closet, kind of loud in the bedrooms when it fires up, it is currently turned off so we don't use the propane ( $$$)
    Woodstove in main living area we use it alot- in fact we haven't missed our heat pump too much- we like it cool in the bedrooms anyway- oh and that is one area of problem- the Master bedroom gets too hot and stuffy when the furnace is on. But the woodstove will be a hassle in spring and Autumn when we only need heat for the mornings and evenings, and sometimes we don't want to go to the trouble of building a fire.

I have gotten a lot of quotes- from $ to $$, replacing the outside unit only with a "dry" Goodman to top of the line 2 stage vs system including new 80 percent furnace. Also have gotten quotes from 2 1/2 ton to 3 ton system. Our system is a Coleman Dex xii evcon, with a Payne indoor furnace. I can't read the model number so I don't know the tonnage- it seemed to be okay sized when it was working properly, but I would like the propane back up to come on very infrequently if possible. No one has done a calculation as far as I know.

I'm having a hard time figuring out what the best choice is. We plan to continue living here for a long time ( at least 10 more years)

I kind of like the ductless heat pumps for the individual zones ( similar to what we're doing with the woodstove now) but we already have ducts , and they are unattractive and from what I've heard, expensive.
    As far as brands , I've read bad reviews about lennox , and Carrier seems to complicated,
    but that's about all I have read.
    I would appreciate any advice!
    Thanks
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-01-2013 at 05:24 PM. Reason: price range

Oh I forgot to add that the propane furnace is next to the propane water heater and share a vent, so that could be a consideration when replacing the furnace. ( the water heater also needs to be replaced ;(

FWIW Hubby thinks that with the redundancy of heating appliances, maybe we should just get the dry unit and replace the furnace when it goes.
    This would be a mismatch with the coil, from what I understand, so not as efficient as it could be, but def cheaper. For an extra bit of change we could get the Goodman with a properly matched coil.

Get a matching system as far as the heat pump goes. 13 or 14 SEER. Replace furnace when it dies down the road.

PS: Prices are not allowed, not even price ranges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

If your using the heat pump, it's always best to get a matched coil with new heat pump. Otherwise you may be buying nothing but troubles and a very short life for the outside heat pump unit. An older 20 yr. old A coil will not nearly match up with a new 13 SEER heat pump, and this mis-match could easily doom the new heat pump in very short order! As to brand, just get whatever brand from a good dealer who'll stand behind what he (or she) installs. I'd imagine a good dealer will also warn you about this mis-match. For goodness sake, don't purchase a unit over the internet and have some jack-leg buddy hook it up. You'd probably get more heat by simply burning the money itself in your woodstove. Regardless of brand, get the matched indoor A coil with the heat pump and if you're going that route, it's usually cheaper to simply go with a 410a freon unit and you'll have the new cheaper freon that way!

Sorry about posting prices. I didn't realize that ranges weren't allowed.
    Thanks for the help! And yes the furnave guy said the mis-matched coil would have disadvantages. I appreciated that he gave me lots of options.
    thanks again!

Just noticed the bid for the new outside unit 13 SEER and coil includes something called a Super Boost- what is this?
    thanks

3-ton Bryant Preferred Heat Pump 9.5+ HSPF or equal

R-24 Ceiling
    R-13 Walls
    U- 0.5 Windows
    Infiltration < 0.4 Air Changes per Hour
    Heat Loss should be < 29,000 BTU/hr at 20'F.

Annual operating cost < $630

No furnace needed in Pacific NW

9 KW total ( three 3 kW) electric strips
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

well the$ 630 sounds nice- I would be a little concerned about the ( albeit rare) times when we get a cold spell of 15 degrees or so?
    thanks!

you could replace the heat pump and evaporator coil now and the furnace later. with the current pricing on r22 i would not even consider a dry unit.
    We really need change now

Typical Heat Pump Performance

Quote Originally Posted by crowinghen View Post
    well the$ 630 sounds nice- I would be a little concerned about the ( albeit rare) times when we get a cold spell of 15 degrees or so?
    thanks!
    About 2 days out of 3 years one may have to -wear a sweater- in the late evening or early morning when it's < 18'F outside creating ~68'F inside.
    Of course, there may be some people who set the thermostat to 67'F late evening or early morning which would be satisfied.

Below 28'F, one 3 kW strip would be needed.
    ___ " .. 22'F, two 3 kw strips " ...." .... "
    __.... " .. 18'F, three 3 kw strips ... " .... "

based on the thermal envelope described in post # 8 above.
    Ceiling R -24 + Walls R-13 or more
    Window Area of 250 sq feet at U value of 0.5 or less.

Must assure < 0.4 ACH By Testing and achieve this level with caulking / sealing.
    http://www.energyconservatory.com/ap...ting-buildings
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by dan sw fl; 03-02-2013 at 04:47 AM. Reason: add link
    Designer Dan
    It's Not Rocket Science, But It is SCIENCE with "Some Art". ___ ___ K EEP I T S IMPLE & S INCERE

Define the Building Envelope and Perform a Detailed Load Calc: It's ALL About Windows and Make-up Air Requirements. Know Your Equipment Capabilities

Quote Originally Posted by crowinghen View Post
    Just noticed the bid for the new outside unit 13 SEER and coil includes something called a Super Boost- what is this?
    thanks
    Its a device to help the compressor start.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?