Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering Lennox for new furnace

So my search for a replacement furnace is continuing and I'm still so confused and looking for more help. I spoke to 2 Premier Lennox dealers. As I mentioned in a previous post, the first guy suggested a single stage unit saying that he didn't think a 2 stage/variable would be able to push heat up to the second floor, but he gave me prices for the single, 2-stage, and modulating furnaces in case I wanted to go that way. The second guy is really pushing the modulating furnace, or the 2-stage variable/saying that it's way better and will work better for my house, but his prices are about $ higher installed for each furnace model. I mentioned to him that his price was $ high compared to others and inferred that I was lying since he knew how much the furnace cost for them to buy. Well, it is what it is. Also when I asked if he would do a heat loss calc he basically called me an idiot, but in a nicer way.

I'm obviously hesitant to ask the first guy to install a furnace that he is recommending against, but the $ savings is just so tempting.

So, should I trust the first guy's opinion about concerns with second floor heating? He's a premier dealer and should know??? Is the second guy lying to me just to make extra profit? I just don't know what to do. $ is a good chunk of change. Maybe I should just go with Carrier and forget the Lennox headache. Price would be about the same as the first guy's price.

BTW, house is old 2-story with basement, 1600 sf with good insulation in lower Michigan.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-01-2013 at 05:16 PM. Reason: Price differences

Did you use the contractor locator on this website?

There are box salesmen only depends on name outside and not on performance
    There are system salesmen-looks at your house and duct and equipment and give recommendations.

Marketing.... what does "premier" mean?

Quote Originally Posted by beshvac View Post
    Did you use the contractor locator on this website?

Marketing.... what does "premier" mean?
    Found the locator and there aren't any contractors close to where I live.

Premier supposedly means they receive ongoing training relating to Lennox equipment and are periodically audited on installations, customer satisfaction, bla bla bla....

Quote Originally Posted by Old College Try View Post
    Found the locator and there aren't any contractors close to where I live.

Premier supposedly means they receive ongoing training relating to Lennox equipment and are periodically audited on installations, customer satisfaction, bla bla bla....

If they can't or won't calculate the heat load then they have no idea what size is correct. Find a contractor who does it and use him.

Ditto for proper installation. If its not installed properly AND with adequately sized ducts then it will not work up to your expectations.

I've now met with 7 dealers. None of them offered to do a calc, none have recommended duct work modifications, most haven't asked a thing about insulation / existing heating conditions and all of them are in the same range regarding furnace size, all of them have a good reputation, but they all recommend different furnaces... some single-stage, some 2-stage/multi speed, some 2-stage/variable, and one modulating. I'm getting the impression that nobody around here will do a heat load calc. How am I supposed to make a decision? Is there a right answer, or do I just do eeny, meeny, miny, moe? That's where I'm headed.

You can buy Hvac-calc and calculate the load yourself. http://www.hvaccomputer.com/gtarget1...FZE-Mgod-HMAOQ

You need to ask by phone before they meet with you. How do they know what size is right if they don't calculate the load? Do you want someone who guesses?
    Last edited by kdean1; 03-01-2013 at 06:17 PM. Reason: spelling correction

How long does it take to do a "whole house" manual J? About 30 minutes tops, and I'll bet each of these "salesmen" spent longer than that selling themselves and their company. Like dean said, just get a manual j online, and figure it yourself. Sad that the "pros" won't do it, sad indeed.

The last guy that was the most expensive said that he'd do one if I paid him $ and he would not give me the calc.. said they were a waste of time.
    Last edited by jpsmith1cm; 03-01-2013 at 09:22 PM. Reason: pricing

Two stage isn't much more than a single stage. If the air flow is too weak on first stage to make the upstairs comfortable a simple dip switch change and a jumper wire will convert it to a single stage and you're only out a few bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Old College Try View Post
    The last guy that was the most expensive said that he'd do one if I paid him $ and he would not give me the calc.. said they were a waste of time.
    If you're paying him for the load calc, why would he not give you the results? I don't give the results when I do an estimate because they will take my findings and buy from someone else. If they buy from me I feel they bought the load calc, too. They get the results.
    If you'd rather pay me to do the load calc you can find my e-mail address in my bio.

Quote Originally Posted by kdean1 View Post
    If you're paying him for the load calc, why would he not give you the results? I don't give the results when I do an estimate because they will take my findings and buy from someone else. If they buy from me I feel they bought the load calc, too. They get the results.
    If you'd rather pay me to do the load calc you can find my e-mail address in my bio.
    That's the thing that turned me off. I suggested that he do a load calc prior to installing if I purchased from him and he got all strange about it. I guess if I were going to pay $300 for a load calc, it would make sense to just have a full blown energy audit done on my house for the same amount... then I would receive the report and would have a better idea on how to tighten up my house. Would it be worth it since my house is 85 years old?

See if there is an energy auditor in your area who will do a laod calc. Pay him for it. All bids should use that sizing info. It is a shame no one in your area will do one.
    Remember, Air Conditioning begins with AIR.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast