Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The best advice I was given and can now recommend without hesitation is make them work somewhere else for at least 2 years. If they don't they'll only know as much as you do. I made this a company rule. My daughter, after college, went to work as a consultant in DC. The training she received was top notch. We couldn't have taught her what she learned in a million years. She came back to work for me after 4 years and has really taken us to another level. We have the most sophisticated computer systems in town that are so simple to use even my idiot techs have no problem with them. There is a measurable increase in profitably. If college isn't for them, have them work for one of the bigger guys in your market or a manufacturer or controls company. What they learn can expand your business. Good luck!

The business owner sons are not much interested to expand there parents business.They should try to learn in order to compete in today's more dynamic market.

I am a son, well step-son, to a business owner. I did some summer jobs for him until he hired me full time when I was 22. I decide to go to trade school and after 2 years, after I began to feel taken for granted. I was making less money than techs at other companies and I had conflicts with my step-fathers partner. I quit and went to work for another contractor. After 6 years and 3 employers, I returned to work for him and now have been with him for 10 (18 years in the field total) years and his partner in not with company any more.

The best thing I ever did was leave. I got a lot of experience and contacts that I would never have made. My Step-Father is a great tech and knows more than most in the field I have met, but what I learned from the older techs at the other companies gave me a more diverse experience and I have been able to bring a lot to the company.

I am a son of an owner. I have been a partner since 2007 and mainly have always been stuck in the office working on the business and not in it. My dad will be retiring this September, we may bring him back for summer 2014 if we feel he is needed. My uncle is the majority owner and he plans on working for another ten years. I'll be taking a larger role in the field this summer which is fine by me...after 13 years in the office you get a little cabin fever.

Over the years me and my dad have had our lumps, he is very hard headed and i am too. He tries to run things like we are still back in 1986. Actually we fight about once a week but now days its more tongue and cheek.

There are a lot of things I might have done differently had I had the luxury of hindsight. I might have opted to work for another company first. That advise is well warranted. I might have pushed harder for the importance of a legally binding buy/sell agreement (exit strategy) and a pension plan. We have a pension plan combined with key man insurance with whole life...still working on a Buy/Sell but should have that settled sometime in the coming few months. These are things I wish we had setup ten years ago but didn't.
    "Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"-Dr. Strangelove (1964)

most of my family does HVAC - my uncle owns one of the larger hvac companies in south jersey, some other uncles work for the local utilities. all my cousins and i worked at the hvac company during the summer, and i worked summer, easter holidays, etc. the day i graduated highschool my dad made me go to work full time at the hvac company. i ended up leaving and going to college for something, did other jobs and stuff for years, and then ended up going to school to be an electrician. electricians dont pay their helpers much, so i fell back on hvac where i would get more initially and pay the bills. went from warehouse in highschool, to commercial helper, to residential helper, to residential installer to service tech to service management to now opening my own company.

my kids? my girlfriend of 8 years who i will most likely be marrying has said that " our children will NOT be doing hvac for a living, and will be going to college " - sooooo if i do everythign right i will hopefully build up a *big* hvac company and then my kiddies with their business degrees will blow the company up to a huge one. thats probably a daydream, that part. haha

I work for my son LOL. My son has worked since he was 13 (summers and weekends). Sent him to school little by little he just took over. I still have a co truck at the house and he better call me a couple of days a week to get me out of the house. ....."sorry honey I can't do them chores today Jr needs some parts"

I am also a son 23. Started working summers when i was13 or so(instead of baby sitters). First year worked at the shop sweeping floors, going to the gas station and getting drinks. The next summer or two i was a helper. Then i got sick Aspergillus in the lungs. (long story short i have a ****ty immune system) . The last year or so of high school i came in and did paperwork on the computer after schoo. Then i worked part time and went to school for hvac, then business. My older brother also worked during the summers but he decided he did not want in the co business. After 5 years at one school and a little over a semester at another he came back and is still working with us.

Kind of weird being over my older brother and at times can be a pain. I would recommend also to go work for another company or two. See how life actually is i wish i did.

Finally our dad as let us make a few changes at a time. Hell we didn't even have contracts to sign for customers okaying work and timely payment till a few weeks ago. Our Accounts Receivable is was to high. Trying to get it to collecting the money on the job but it will be a while before that because hell when asked our techs say no we dont take money we will bill ya. WTF is someone offers to pay call the office get a price and collect. IMO the best time to collect is when the customer is actually thankful that you fixed their unit not a week or so down the road and they think the invoice is unfair.

enough with my rant. But yes it can and does work. Good luck to your new business and son. My dad started his 2 years before i was born and it is still holding strong

Quote Originally Posted by eglide99 View Post
    I work for my son LOL. My son has worked since he was 13 (summers and weekends). Sent him to school little by little he just took over. I still have a co truck at the house and he better call me a couple of days a week to get me out of the house. ....."sorry honey I can't do them chores today Jr needs some parts"
    That sounds like the good life right there. I think I might model my business plan after yours

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I do not have a son. I have a nephew that I treat like a son. I really hope one day he will take over the shop. He is only 14 has a good work ethic and is willing to learn sofar. This summer I am going to take him on a few installs to just watch and see

Quote Originally Posted by pilotlight View Post
    I do not have a son. I have a nephew that I treat like a son. I really hope one day he will take over the shop. He is only 14 has a good work ethic and is willing to learn sofar. This summer I am going to take him on a few installs to just watch and see
    Curious, how much does he make when he helps you?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm an owners son. I started going on after hours emergency calls with him as long ago as I can remember. I worked every summer from ~12years old riding with techs and helping with installs. I waited tables for a while my junior and senior years in high school then went to work for my dad full time. I went to hvac school at night and got my degree and ive been doing hvac full time for 7 years now. My dad always told me I didn't have to work in this trade and tried to encourage me to learn something more "white collar" but, I think he was just using reverse psycology. I enjoy doing and learning this trade every day.
    Heating/Cooling Services Inc.
    www.andersonhvacservice.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12