+ Reply to Thread

Thread: heat pump filter drier

Post Likes

heat pump filter drier

Assuming there is a byflow liquid line filter drier, how does one install suction line filter drier? I would assume by putting two side by side with a check valve and piping so it would only flow with the direction of the vapor. Correct me if I am wrong please.

Post Likes
    I mainly work on residential & I haven't used a suction line drier in over 20 years but on a HP it has to go in between the compressor & the RV which usually doesn't leave a lot of room. Any where else & it would only be good for the cooling cycle & should be removed before the heating cycle starts. No reason for any check valves that I can think of & where the liquid line drier is should have no bearing on where you put it either. I actually have seen them installed on the large line outside the condenser on split units & left but I can't see them doing any good for the system that way. I usually just cut them out when I see them like that.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by toocoolforschool View Post
    Assuming there is a byflow liquid line filter drier, how does one install suction line filter drier? I would assume by putting two side by side with a check valve and piping so it would only flow with the direction of the vapor. Correct me if I am wrong please.
    Thats way to much work for you .

I just install it the direction of flow for the season. So if its heating season just install it with the arrow facing away from the unit and wire the condenser so it cant be put into cool mode or defrost. If its cooling install it with the arrow facing the unit and wire it so that it wont shift into heat. Come back a week or two later remove test refer for acid and your on your way.

Post Likes
    Actually if system has a accumulator then put it between that and compressor. Close to comp as you can.

Sometimes its easier to put one in the lineset - lock it in cool and return to remove it but this does leave compressor unprotected from internal piping.

I have personally done the latter when putting one of the very few dry units we sat after a burn.

Post Likes
    Barrettsvc- I hope you aren't advising using suction drier on a hot gas line in heat.

Post Likes

heat pump filter drier

If this not a temporary repair and you don't plan on taking it out just install it before the reversing valve. No check valve needed.

Post Likes
    I would throw some acid away in the system & forget about a suction line dryer. I've experienced better success rate through the years with the acid products than I had with suction line driers. Plus no one I know including myself ever goes back & removes the drier after a few days to a week or so. Putting in check valves & installing it in the line outside the condenser is pretty creative but I just don't think it is very practical.
    Gary
    -----------
    http://www.oceanhvac.com
    The best things in life are free but not everyone is willing to pay the price.
    When you appreciate what you have, you have a lot more.

Post Likes
    just put an oversized LLD for acid removal and dont worry about a SLD, as far as barrett services idea you do realize that a heat pump goes into defrost cycle and would send hot gas into the drier and could cause a catastophic failure and send dessicant thru the lines

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Ridley View Post
    If this not a temporary repair and you don't plan on taking it out just install it before the reversing valve. No check valve needed.
    You really don't want to do that. Suction line strainers/dryers are for temporary use only. They are only installed after a burn out to clean up the refrigerant.

You need to check the pressure drop at installation and then after at least 24 hours of running time and if more than 3 to 4 pounds more then replace it and remove it permanently when after running a week or so there is no more significant drop. Never leave it in in accordance with mfgs instruction because it can get a high pressure drop over time and wipe out your compressor. Thank you very much
    "I could have ended the war in a month. I could have made North Vietnam look like a mud puddle."

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them. It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution."
    Sen. Barry Goldwater

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrettservices View Post
    Thats way to much work for you .

I just install it the direction of flow for the season. So if its heating season just install an oversized (one direction) FD with the arrow facing away from the A/H in liquid line and wire the condenser so it cant be put into cool mode or defrost. If its cooling install it with the arrow facing the unit in suction line and wire it so that it wont shift into heat. Come back a week or two later remove test refer for acid and your on your way.
    Fix some mistypes and elaborated, gonna need to start reading my posts before hitting send. auto-type seems to fail me more and more. And yes i am well aware that suction line filters cannot take over 160 degrees and may break apart and cannot trap moisture in hot gas lines so I've read.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by garyed View Post
    I would throw some acid away in the system & forget about a suction line dryer. I've experienced better success rate through the years with the acid products than I had with suction line driers. Plus no one I know including myself ever goes back & removes the drier after a few days to a week or so. Putting in check valves & installing it in the line outside the condenser is pretty creative but I just don't think it is very practical.
    I'm back, I think this is the best solution for this units will be heating and cooling at different times of the day, thanks for the replies fellows.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in