Thread: help choosing a HVAC installer

Post Likes

help choosing a HVAC installer

I put a 900 sqft addition on my earth home. I decided that now was the time to also add an HVAC system to the old part of the house while I was at it. The existing home was 1100 sq ft with 8ft ceilings. I ran a 12" round trunk line with 6 8" drops feeding the various rooms in the existing house. The new additon is above the garage and will be fed by its own 8x14 trunck line and will have 6 8inch drops on it as well. The sqft of the new additons is 900 sq ft. I had it narrowed down to 1 contractor and I installed the duct work per his calculations. He had given me a "guestimate" on what the rest of the new install was going to cost. It sounded reasonable to me and I told him I would contact him when I was closer to needing his services. Well I called him back out a few weeks ago and he came and looked things over. I then receive his written estimate in the mail and it is substantially higher that what his original "guestimate" was.
    So now here I am ready to go but not really being able to afford what I thought I could afford. My plumber recommended a friend of his that does side work. He came out and looked it over. His recommendation was a 2.5 ton unit 16 seer with a 3 ton blower(same as the first guy). He also wants to run automatic dampers on each trunk line to create 2 zones and he wants to do it for a bit less than the 1st guy. Guy number 2 is installing tappan or any other brand I want from one of the local wholesale houses. The first guy is using lennox. So what is a guy to do? Also are there any things I should be concerned about considering sizing between a single zone system and a dual zone system?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by burhead View Post
    I put a 900 sqft addition on my earth home. I decided that now was the time to also add an HVAC system to the old part of the house while I was at it. The existing home was 1100 sq ft with 8ft ceilings. I ran a 12" round trunk line with 6 8" drops feeding the various rooms in the existing house. The new additon is above the garage and will be fed by its own 8x14 trunck line and will have 6 8inch drops on it as well. The sqft of the new additons is 900 sq ft. I had it narrowed down to 1 contractor and I installed the duct work per his calculations. He had given me a "guestimate" on what the rest of the new install was going to cost. It sounded reasonable to me and I told him I would contact him when I was closer to needing his services. Well I called him back out a few weeks ago and he came and looked things over. I then receive his written estimate in the mail and it is substantially higher that what his original "guestimate" was.
    So now here I am ready to go but not really being able to afford what I thought I could afford. My plumber recommended a friend of his that does side work. He came out and looked it over. His recommendation was a 2.5 ton unit 16 seer with a 3 ton blower(same as the first guy). He also wants to run automatic dampers on each trunk line to create 2 zones and he wants to do it for a bit less than the 1st guy. Guy number 2 is installing tappan or any other brand I want from one of the local wholesale houses. The first guy is using lennox. So what is a guy to do? Also are there any things I should be concerned about considering sizing between a single zone system and a dual zone system?
    Call the contractors number ona weekend or after hours and see if they answer within a half hour or sooner, they will be your new hvac contractor. Our company would have been out of business years ago if it wasnt for our service teams response time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in