Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 27 to 39 of 52
  1. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Those with power always want more power. So if one has the power to shape thought so as to ensure the maintaining of that power and expansion of same it stands to reason that they will. By not teaching the constitution those with power will eventually not have to defend themselves aginst it. Boiling frogs!! Is it getting warm here?

  2. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    So why would the powers that be force teachers to not teach about the constitution... then pass a law requiring that the constitution must be taught in schools?

    Me thinky someone is paranoid....too much Fox news.

  3. #29
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    So why would the powers that be force teachers to not teach about the constitution... then pass a law requiring that the constitution must be taught in schools?

    Me thinky someone is paranoid....too much Fox news.
    Me thinky someone is naive....not enough Fox news...
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

  4. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    So why would the powers that be force teachers to not teach about the constitution... then pass a law requiring that the constitution must be taught in schools?

    Me thinky someone is paranoid....too much Fox news.
    Me thinks some one didn't get slapped in the teeth enough while growing up the principle didn't pass any law.

  5. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post

    Me thinks some one didn't get slapped in the teeth enough while growing up the principle didn't pass any law.
    I think you got slapped one too many times....the politicians passed the law, and they are the ones controlling the principle are they not?

  6. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post

    Me thinky someone is naive....not enough Fox news...
    So you enjoy rich Islamic men telling you what to believe.

  7. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    I think you got slapped one too many times....the politicians passed the law, and they are the ones controlling the principle are they not?
    Apparently not. Slow down and read all the words before trying to have a thought about what was written.

  8. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    2,921
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy knocker View Post
    Those with power always want more power. So if one has the power to shape thought so as to ensure the maintaining of that power and expansion of same it stands to reason that they will. By not teaching the constitution those with power will eventually not have to defend themselves aginst it. Boiling frogs!! Is it getting warm here?
    Precisely.

    http://www.dailykos.com/story/2011/1...cation-System#

    Here we have the very same, VERY historical, compelling, well researched, documented, muster passing information so readily dismissed as fundie quackery; now presented by a member of the left. Different motivation, to be sure, but same verifiable information and most interestingly: The very same fears. Who will control what our children learn? Which is in the same drawer as: Who will control my healthcare, who will control my body, who will control my access to weapons, who will control my ability to provide for my family and every other hot button issue that divides us.

    It is the issue of control, or more specifically the lack thereof, that makes these increasingly bizarre examples of public school shenanigans so inflammatory. They point directly to the lack of control felt by far right to slightly left members of the populace. The mid left to far left and progressives see absolutely nothing wrong and down play, mock and dismiss every objection that comes from those to the right of them as control of the public school system is decidedly in the hands of liberals and progressives.

    You would not see this sort of foolishness if conservatives were running the show. You might have other issues, sure, but you wouldn’t see this stuff. It would probably be a dry, mind-numbing affair focusing on reading, writing and arithmetic. Until recess and gym where there would be injuries from dodge ball and rope burns if you were lacking in upper body strength. The big fluffy mat only looks like it’s three stories down…just let go and start hitting the chin up bar every day. You’ll be up to the tape line on that rope in no time.

    So our leftist writer is pointing out the protestant religious influence in the genesis of our public education system and, if given a chance, would certainly propose that it had more to do with social order and mind control than math, reading and writing. Our righty writer is bemoaning the new secular experimentation he feels started at around that time and would doubtlessly believe continues to this day.

    Both are grappling with control, just as we are. And both have a valid point: Control of the public educational system has the potential to shape much more than just a child’s ability to read, write and divide fractions.

  9. #35
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Helena, Montana
    Posts
    1,979
    Quote Originally Posted by AStudent View Post
    So you enjoy rich Islamic men telling you what to believe.
    Evidently his news station covers a lot more news than the standard rhetoric the White House instructs the rest of the mainstream media to cover! Maybe you should enlighten yourself and watch it for awhile. I watch CNN ocassionally, just to hear a different version and then make my own decision on what to believe!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

  10. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by ControlsInMT View Post

    Evidently his news station covers a lot more news than the standard rhetoric the White House instructs the rest of the mainstream media to cover! Maybe you should enlighten yourself and watch it for awhile. I watch CNN ocassionally, just to hear a different version and then make my own decision on what to believe!
    I try to watch it...my cable provider has the left and right media stations set on back to back channels.

    The problem is that I can be watching the left channel peacefully, when I turn the channel to Fox everything is chaotic....four people trying to talk over one another, guests getting kicked off the air because they asked a question not in favor of the right..all sorts if chaos... it gives me a migraine.

    I've recently stopped watching or listening to any mainstream media source, as I have found lies and contradictions in them all, and I feel that the news is now on more for our entertainment and for their monetary gain instead of reporting actual news.

  11. #37
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    6,876
    Not really bad giving students a different perspective, in the case of the terrorists viewpoint that they are doing what is right. Just labeling them as evil and full of hatred does not do much to understand their motivations and look at possible ways of counteracting that motivation.

    As far as teaching students, how many do you think will be taught the CIA got the six American hostages out of Iran all those years ago? Made for a good movie, won a Academy Award. But telling the story as anything but an American triumph would be, well, un-American.

    Taylor noted that former U.S. President Jimmy Carter appeared on CNN on Thursday night and said “90 per cent of the contributions to the ideas and the consummation of the plan was Canadian,” but the film “gives almost full credit to the American CIA.”

    Carter also called Argo a complete distortion of what happened when he accepted an honorary degree from Queen’s University in Canada in November.

    “I saw the movie Argo recently and I was taken aback by its distortion of what happened because almost everything that was heroic, or courageous or innovative was done by Canada and not the United States,” Carter said.

    Taylor said there would be no movie without the Canadians.

    “We took the six in without being asked so it starts there,” Taylor said. “And the fact that we got them out with some help from the CIA then that’s where the story loses itself. I think Jimmy Carter has it about right, it was 90 per cent Canada, 10 per cent the CIA.”

    He said CIA agent Tony Mendez, played by Affleck in the film, was only in Iran for a day and a half.
    http://www.therecord.com/whatson/art...-thriller-argo

    As a retired social studies teacher, I tend to like movies that are based on real events or that are period pieces that show how people lived in other time periods like the old Ivory-Merchant movies.

    “Argo,” on the other hand, was an exciting recreation of the events surrounding the escape of Americans from the Canadian embassy in Tehran during the Carter presidency. I was lucky enough to go to a dinner in Canada with that Canadian ambassador when the NCSS Annual Meeting met in Detroit many years ago. Even after listening to his speech, I was no wiser about what had happened to get them out. But now the story can and has been told by the CIA agent who came up with the scheme. I know that some of the events portrayed were overdramatized, but even knowing that, this movie filled in the missing story and as outrageous as the story is, it has that ring of truth and authenticity. We all know the Americans escaped, and yet the movie has you sitting on the edge of your seat wondering if they actually made it. This is one not to miss.
    http://www.masscouncil.org/?p=2578
    Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference. —Mark Twain

  12. #38
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    I'm an old cowhand from the Rio Grande
    Posts
    17,089
    Quote Originally Posted by hurtinhvac View Post
    A boringly predictable liberal progressive retort. How many hours did you spend googling it up? Barton didn't write it, however tenuos the connection to Blumefield.

    Mind you, I cringed as well when I first read the book. Afterall I was a very young liberal democrat...maybe just because my parents were conservative, maybe because I thought life was unfair...I don't know. It's very hard for me to think like I did back then. Closin' in on a half a century has given me a completely different...perspective. It's all about differing perspectives, you'll recall.

    But I didn't select the piece based on any connection to religious zeal of one sort or another. It simply remains one of the most simple yet startling explanations of how the public school system could be so vital...so crucial to folks who might not have the best interests of the kiddies in mind at all. And perhaps the answer to why it continues so incredibly broken and unabated. Texas, Maine, Washington, California...pick your region. The examples of decay, stupidity and downright dysfunction are now available right there on your lap thanks to the electronic age we live in.

    I used to speculate and chalk it off to the self-effacing, ulterior motives of the very powerful teachers union. Simple greed. But that book has always remained in the back of my mind.

    Anyway, feel quite free to challenge the fact that the earliest form of organized education in America started back in the Bay colonies back in what...1600 something. And that it was indeed instituted for the express purpose of ensuring that young ones could read and understand the King James version of the Holy Bible. Even my liberal college professors taught me that with a crooked grin of disdain.

    Or whatever else you wish to challenge...I'll get to it sooner or later. The dedication and insight you pack into such few words has me intrigued, I confess.

    h
    Using, as Blumefeld does, bogus anecdotes speaks volumes of a person more concerned with supporting a particular partisan view than any concept or practice of proper history scholarship.

    But then if you are comfortable using devious and sloppy sources to support your assertions, then post away.



    Just for grins, for a source you say you didn't pick because of a connection to religious zeal, the excerpt was postively eaten up with religious zeal. In fact, strip out the relgious zeal and what remains is little more than punctuation.

  13. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Western KY
    Posts
    1,221
    Quote Originally Posted by geerair View Post
    Using, as Blumefeld does, bogus anecdotes speaks volumes of a person more concerned with supporting a particular partisan view than any concept or practice of proper history scholarship.

    But then if you are comfortable using devious and sloppy sources to support your assertions, then post away.



    Just for grins, for a source you say you didn't pick because of a connection to religious zeal, the excerpt was postively eaten up with religious zeal. In fact, strip out the relgious zeal and what remains is little more than punctuation.
    Sooo. Nothing on the point? Just bla bla bla I'm smarter then you so na na na na ?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event