Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Picture of what I'm seeing

So I managed to contort myself to get a picture at the back of one of the cells through the combustion door area. Do you guys think this may be a crack? I'm seeing the same thing in each cell. I plan on getting someone in to check it out, but wanted to get your thoughts meanwhile.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

That's where they crack. Can't tell if they are all the way through the metal or not by looking. Testing is a simple process.

Cracked!
    With a good flashlight and the right viewing angle you can also see the cracking from on top of the furnace looking down into it

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    Cracked!
    With a good flashlight and the right viewing angle you can also see the cracking from on top of the furnace looking down into it
    I made an attempt to look from above with a mirror through where the humidifier is attached, but the a/c coil is in the way. I guess the next step is to call the utility company in to check it out, but I'll have to be ready to make a decision on the installer soon since if it's bad I'll expect them to tag it.

those little cracks are not that bad, wait till it warms up before you have the utility come to confirm them.
    that way you'll have all summer to get it taken care of.

Ok, thanks. At least I have all of my quotes and I'm ready to drop some cash on a new unit.

Well utility co. came to check it out. Told my wife that I was looking at rust in the seam, check it for a minute with an analyzer and said it was fine and left....

Well, I haven't given up on this. I decided to get a closer look with an inspection camera and have attached a couple of example pics of what I found. Is there a way that a pro can verify that these go all the way through. Is pulling the blower and spraying with water from below to see if water leaks through legit? If these truly are cracks, even if it's not producing significant CO at the moment, I know that there is the potential that it could happen in the future. I'd rather take advantage of my warranty before I have this furnace replaced. Any suggestions?

Name:  POSSIBLE_CRACK_2.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  26.4 KBName:  POSSIBLE_CRACK.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  71.3 KB

pic #2 looks like a crack to me, #1 could just be rust.

have you checked to see if utility program even covers heat exchanger, i know 100% for sure the one around here doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    pic #2 looks like a crack to me, #1 could just be rust.

have you checked to see if utility program even covers heat exchanger, i know 100% for sure the one around here doesn't.
    Yes, under the plan I have they cover the heat exchanger. I realize that if #2 is a crack it's quite small, but I think a crack is a crack.

Water is a 100% legit test for that furnace. If it bleeds through then it's a crack,if it doesn't then it's just a stress mark.

Cracks confirmed

Quote Originally Posted by martyinlincoln View Post
    Water is a 100% legit test for that furnace. If it bleeds through then it's a crack,if it doesn't then it's just a stress mark.
    Well, pulled the blower and got up in there with a pump sprayer and as suspected water bled through cracks on the two cells that I tested. I could see the area getting wet around the crack as I sprayed. I wouldn't say it was gushing through, but I can at least confirm that the cracks go all the way through even though they are not large. Meanwhile I've been able to select a dealer to have my furnace replaced, so now I just need to figure out how to work with my utility co. to have the furnace repaired or receive cash payout for replacement. Thanks for your advice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123