Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whisperheat Heat Exchanger Crack?

I'm hoping someone has experience with heat exchangers in Whisperheat G20's. I've read that they can be prone to cracking, so I was inspecting with a flashlight through the damper door, and in 3 of the cells I can see a line just left of the seam where the cell curves up to the right. I'd say the lines are about 2 to 3 inches long and one has a very slight amount of rust along it. I've read in a couple of places that this could be a closed crack and I also read a comment by someone saying that this line is just there and it's normal, not a crack. Anyone have experience with this? I realize that getting a pro in would be the proper thing to do, but I'm just curious at this point.

You should really use a scope to confirm, or a water test.
    99% of the time what you're looking at is a crack. There is no such thing as a closed crack.
    Replace it.

The "Dura-Curve" heat exchanger was prone to cracking. The curve was designed into the heat exchanger to reduce the expansion/contraction noise. It turned out to be a weakness.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    The "Dura-Curve" heat exchanger was prone to cracking. The curve was designed into the heat exchanger to reduce the expansion/contraction noise. It turned out to be a weakness.
    Will a pro then be able to conclusively confirm if they are cracks then? I actually have insurance through my utility company. Maybe I should just have the utility company come out and check... They will cover replacement of the part or just pay me a max amount if the cost is too high for repair. Any thoughts for best way to go about this?

i would call the utility company asap .
    We really need change now

If the furnace is less than 20 years old its still under warranty IF you're the original purchaser.
    Lennox has tightened the rules lately, and new owners are not getting coverage anymore.

Definatly call the gas co.

Your best bet is replacement!

I use my combustion analyzer to determine if there is any leakage from the heat exchanger. It is a very reliable method.

Quote Originally Posted by Old College Try View Post
    Will a pro then be able to conclusively confirm if they are cracks then? I actually have insurance through my utility company. Maybe I should just have the utility company come out and check... They will cover replacement of the part or just pay me a max amount if the cost is too high for repair. Any thoughts for best way to go about this?
    The only way that I remember telling for sure was to cut out the back of the furnace and do a visual inspection. Where they crack, in the curve, can not be reached with a camera.

Dean, post #7, has a method that sounds like it'll verify if it's a bad HX.

Quote Originally Posted by syndicated View Post
    If the furnace is less than 20 years old its still under warranty IF you're the original purchaser.
    Lennox has tightened the rules lately, and new owners are not getting coverage anymore.

Definatly call the gas co.

Your best bet is replacement!
    20 year warranty no matter how many owners.

Quote Originally Posted by George2 View Post
    The only way that I remember telling for sure was to cut out the back of the furnace and do a visual inspection. Where they crack, in the curve, can not be reached with a camera.

Dean, post #7, has a method that sounds like it'll verify if it's a bad HX.
    cut out the back of a furnace and you just destroyed the furnace whether the hx was cracked or not.

Quote Originally Posted by t527ed View Post
    cut out the back of a furnace and you just destroyed the furnace whether the hx was cracked or not.
    Not so..........what is the difference between that opening and the plenum 6" above? No danger what so ever after a patch is put on.

Furnace is 24 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Old College Try View Post
    Furnace is 24 years old.
    Replace it. It was only about 70% efficient. Lennox wanted people to believe the damper in front did something but in reality, it was the old furnace design (the heat exchanger did not reduce the stack temperature). They added spark ignition and the burner damper...............the draft diverter was still wide open............and it was advertised as "almost" 80%.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast